Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Not Recognized, Says to Format - RAW

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 notPCsavvy

notPCsavvy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

Hello,

I recently had trouble with my laptop connecting to the internet but was fortunate enough to get it working again after formating the hard drive.

My new problem lies with a USB I purchased to format the laptop as I thought there were driver issues. The USB I purchased was a Lexar 64gig. I have had it for less than two weeks and today the USB stopped working.

Only one of my laptops recognizes the USB, but says "Removable Storage (E:)"... Previously the (E:) was called Lexar. I have NOT removed the USB drive improperly. The USB has been in this other laptop for almost two weeks since I was trying to trouble shoot the other laptop.

I went to the store I purchased the USB from today and spoke with a Sales agent from the CPU dept. He asked me if I had improperly removed the USB, I told him I did not. I have ALL my files from my laptop on this stick and did not copy them to the other laptop because I did not think there would be any problems. The Sales agent I spoke with today referred me to a place that does data recovery and assured me they can retrieve my files.

I however do not want to pay $250-$900 to get my files back because I believe this USB was malfunctioning prior to my purchase and the problem is not my fault. I am also a student and the files DESPERATELY need to be recovered as I have homework on this USB.

I am currently running EaseUS to try and recover the files. Recuva does not recognize the USB. The laptop I am using is running Windows XP. The other laptop that was having internet issues is Windows Vista and does not recognize the USB at all. My desktop computer is running XP and does not recognize the drive either.

Only one laptop that is running XP recognizes the drive, and only with EaseUS. I also tried iCare and that does not recognize any files either... Can anyone help me solve this problem ??? Any free programs that let you recover more than 1 gig???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

Well, it sounds like you've done a bit of research into data recovery programs... I'm racking my brain trying to think of other utilities that might be able to help.

I use several flash drives throughout the course of my day of various OS's and can't remember the last time I actually 'ejected' a flash drive before removing it. That being said it sounds like the flash drive may just be faulty. I would have recommended using Recuva but you mentioned that it doesn't even see the flash drive so that one is out of the window... another utility that I have used from time to time is a DOS based program called PhotoRec. I believe it was originally designed to be a photo recovery program but it has successfully saved my tush a couple times in the past, recovering lost data from failing hard drives and flash drives. It might be worth a try.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Now that I am thinking about it more, the XP machine that doesn't recognize the flash drive may have an issue with the USB HUB drivers...Its a long shot but next time you plug it into that machine check device manager and see if by chance its showing up with an Exclamation Point. If it is just right click and uninstall and reinsert the flash drive...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users