Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Image and Disk Burning Programs?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just got a new computer and have it set up pretty much the way I want it, have all my main programs installed, have performed all my tweaks so I figure now is the time to make a disk image, you know, before I make one too many tweaks and mess everything up.  :)

I am wondering if anyone could give me some recommendations on what free program to use to make a disk image of my system. One of those that creates an exact copy of the computer. I guess it would be something like Acronis only free. One that works on Windows 8 64 bit.

Has anyone used Paragons Backup and Restore 2013?

My main hard drive is a 120 gig SSD with two partitions, one is the main one shows 101 gig with about 41 gig used and the other one is about a 10 gig recovery partition with almost 7 gig used.

Does anyone know about how many dvds it would take to back up this system?

I have no idea how there can possibly be that many gigs used, but there are. All my music, pictures, downloaded programs, everything other than installed programs are on my other drive, which shows I have only used 15 gig of 465, guess programs for Windows 8 are just much bigger than I thought they should be.

Also, does anyone have recommendations on which free disk burning program is best, especially for doing this type of backup?

Thanks everyone for any suggestions and help you give.  :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

You have the tools needed to create an image of your SSD already in Windows 8. A bit hidden, though.

Be sure to create a system repair disc, too. You'll need that to boot and reinstall image when needed.

Create a system image backup with Windows 8's hidden backup tool | ITworld

Search for "backup" and Windows 8 brings you to its new File History feature (which itself is pretty neat for saving copies of your files).

So where is the system image tool? You have to look for the "Windows 7 File Recovery" link in the lower left side of the File History page (or search for "file recovery"). It's not a very intuitive name, because it sounds like you'd be recovering Windows 7 files, but that's where the legacy backup tools are.

Instead of using DVDs....you have a hdd....why not store the backup image on your 500GB hdd?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 TechJay

TechJay

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

Check out Image Burn, it is a great tool for burning cds and dvds.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Edited by TechJay, 26 March 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Buddy, I will check out the Windows backup program, thank you.

I had thought about using my other hard drive for the backup image, but didn't know if I would be able to access that drive if I had an issue causing me to not be able to boot into Windows, do you, or anyone else, know if I would be able to?

TechJay, thank you for the suggestion of Image Burn, I have checked it out and even downloaded it but then I found out that there are some issues with that program and my specific DVD drive that make it burn disks really slowly. I haven't tried it but others have posted on their site about this problem.

I am really sorry that I took so long to reply to your posts, I have been away.

Thanks again for your replies, suggestions and help.

If anyone else has any other suggestions, I would love to know about them.

Thank you everyone

Edited by Stang777, 02 April 2013 - 07:00 PM.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE:  "had thought about using my other hard drive for the backup image, but didn't know if I would be able to access that drive if I had an issue causing me to not be able to boot into Windows, do you, or anyone else, know if I would be able to?"

That's why I mentioned "Be sure to create a system repair disc, too. You'll need that to boot and reinstall image when needed."

How to create a Windows 8 system repair disc -

The system repair disc can be used to boot into a recovery environment in situations where the Windows 8 operating system is not booting anymore.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Hi Stang

I use Macrium Reflect (free) and Acronis True Image (not free), for my backups, which are held on an external drive, formatted Fat32.

They both support Windows 8.

Please note I have no experience with SSD drives. Both programs appear to be OK with them; can't find any adverse comments on Google.

You can create the backups, within Windows, or from the boot loader (in Acronis).

The backups are restored by using a boot loading DVD for either program, thus avoiding Windows in the
recovery operations.

Both programs have worked very well for me; no problems in accessing the external drive, shouldn't be any
problem accessing a second drive.

My current Win 7 Laptop drive has only 51GB used, (with all usual programs and Office Pro Plus 2013) and this
compresses to around 29GB, so I would need around 8 standard DVDs, if I went that route.
I much prefer the backup to a drive, far simpler.

BTW, I did test Windows 8 Pro, 64 bit, on my laptop and the backups were similar, in compression, etc.

(They also work very nicely on my Dell Dimension 4600, XP Home, Desktop, still going strong after almost 10 years).

buddy215

I'll bear your advice in mind, when I eventually use Windows 8, on a regular basis. Thanks.

Edited by petewills , 03 April 2013 - 12:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users