Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

switching distros without the headache.... suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Hi! Just looking for some suggestions from some more advanced Linux users on switching OSs.

Currently I have Ubuntu 12.04 with KDE desktop environment. A great set up I might say. however I am running into a few issues and I am ready to get a fresh start. I was thinking of switching to 12.10.

The reason I want to switch is lately my OS has been buggin out a bit. broken file extentions and poor disk usage statistics. one day I have 60G of hard drive free, the next: 16, 11, 4, then the system is full and freaks out. I don't download files or music. I haven't even generated a new office doc in the last few days. Its time for a new start. I have a bunch of junk: Elightenment 17 desktops and other experiments. I don't care to fix any of it, I just want it cleaned out.

to speed up the process: I really want to save any .deb files for virtual box, team viewer, Kompozer, skype, wine, netflix, pdf editor, ect. It's not that I am too lazy to install them, its that I hate wasting resources downloading them (wasting my own and the developer's bandwith).

where are the installation files located or is there a program that backs them up? I don't anticipate shifting to Suse or anything that would have different files types. I plan to stick with Debian. How ideal is it to add the install files to a distro and install them all at once (Ubuntu images are rather small, so can I bulk them up with programs?)

I have switched phones several times this year, each time being easier and easier with my gooogle account. I figured there must be something to simplify this.

Thanks all for looking and I anticipate seeing creative feedback!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

It would be easy if you made a separate /home partition. Then all you'd need to do is copy the install files to there, reinstall while leaving that partition alone, and reinstall those packages once the new install is complete.

Since you might not have done that, the best means would be to copy those installer files you want to carry over onto an external device then reinstall them once finished with the new linux installation. And it would be a good idea to make a separate /home partition when you install the new one so you can preserve your settings and everything the next time.

There's still a way to keep those settings this time in the absence of a separate /home. But it takes a lot more time to explain it than it does to do it, and it requires an external device formatted as ext2/3/4 to keep permissions alive.

#3 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

I just saw this response, sorry I did not reply ealier. I will update the notifications.

Anyway, I kinda get what you are saying. a little more advance Linux processes than I am used to. I will hunt online for more dense materials explaining the process you mentioned, or even a video. Visuals are always a plus I find.

Also, I would like to update the reason why my Ubuntu installation was so buggy. The computer would seemingly fill up with an addition 60 GIB of data unsuspectingly and crash. I have determined that it was cause by the snippet code:

sudo su

<enter password>
teamviewer --daemon start

It was the only way I could get TeamViewer to launch and apparently it was filling up my PC with Paging files while the daemon was running and wouldn't reset until the PC was rebooted. So now if I have to connect to a remote PC, I shut down the computer after I am done. Installed a widget on the desktop with the drive space displayed so I can tell before it fills up and crashes.

I am getting bored with Ubuntu (KDE desktop). Hate to say it, but those shiney little tiles in Win8 look real pretty.... I know better though! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users