Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Real Time Strategy Games

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:15 PM

hey i play Warcraft 3 and i consider myself to be pretty good at it. I get first or second in every game i play not to brag or anything though. I find myself less and less fond of the game due to "noobs" can someone reccomend a good online real time strategy with an intelligent fanbase. Thx.
Cya,
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:56 PM

well sadly, there are idiots everywhere now, it almost makes most online play pointless. lol, play Counter Strike?

Lets see,

I don't know how Age of Empires 3 is going with its online play but I used to have tons of fun with Age Of Empires 2 when playing with other people (though its really old now anyway).

Also, I don't know how playing it online is, but the Total War series are very good because they focus on MASSIVE battles (depending on the settings, they can range from units with like around 20 soldiers each to units with 160 soldiers each) and when you have tons of units at your disposal (or thousands of soldiers), you can have really cool battles. Still, you don't need to play online with the Total War series either, you can have tons of fun in the campaigns with the computer.

Currently, the most current Total War game is Rome: Total War and its expansion. However, later this year (like next winter), they will be releasing a remake of one of their older games and it looks awsome, Medevial: Total War 2.

Edited by Wizdabest, 04 April 2006 - 07:56 PM.

#3 Rabbuk

Rabbuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:03 PM

i dunno i real like like games where u build and like upgrade units and have big battles.
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#4 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 11:23 PM

I have been a big RTS'er for many years. In fact, I was hooked from the first time I played the original Command & Conquer.

My favorite RTS of all time is Total Annihilation. I have played that off and on since it came out; I an a small group of friends still have TA lans to this day. We have actually been playing the Absolute Annihilation mod, which adds new units and modifies many of the original units and structures.

Other RTS games I have played over the years include Red Alert 1 and 2, Earth 2150 and its expansion Moon Project, the Homeworld series, and Rise of Nations.

As for Blizzard's games, I played Warcraft 2 long ago, but I have yet to try WC3. I hear nothing but rave reviews from other gamers, and it is on my "permanent list" so eventually I will pick it up.

I never did care for Starcraft, however. When it came out I was at the height of my Total Annihilation days, and Starcraft seemed weak and simplistic in comparison.
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:17 AM

BFME2 is coming out (Battle For Middle Earth 2) is out (or is coming out?). BFME was a pretty good RTS game IMHO. BFME2 is supposed to dwarf the original.

Personally, I'm still a fan of CnC generals and CnC generals; Zero Hour (expansion pack). It's just that there's a lot of idiots on there nowadays.....cheaters, statpadders, you name it their on it. I guess that there everywhere though.....
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:43 AM

yea, homeworld is a cool concept with its ability to move your units anywhere in the given area. Also, when you read the book Ender's Game, its even cooler to have tons of fighters and stuff brawling it out in space.

The Star Wars series also released a new game, Empire at War, which isn't too bad (at least the demo was alright).

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:47 AM

Don't forget the two Empire Earths!
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 Professional

Professional

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:22 PM

If you like big battles get any game from the Total War series! Rome: Total War and Barbarian Invasion Expansion or Mediveal Total War! These battles consist of about 10,000 Units!! You attack and conquer the world! Like age of empires but different. Search Google for Screen Shots. Not sure about Mediveal Total War but I have RTW and it is awesome!!
Posted Image

#9 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:07 PM

even though empire earth had a larger world population, I didn't like how little of an amount of resources the people could carry and how long it took to get it all.

---

To whoever said Moon Project above, yea its kind of a cool game, it makes me want to get it back from my friend. I like how you can 'create' your own units and customize the weapons on the units and buildings.

#10 Rabbuk

Rabbuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:47 PM

i like the enders series alot. Where can i get a hold of homeworld and whatever the other game i need to play it with. THXs
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#11 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:22 PM

even though empire earth had a larger world population, I didn't like how little of an amount of resources the people could carry and how long it took to get it all.

---

To whoever said Moon Project above, yea its kind of a cool game, it makes me want to get it back from my friend. I like how you can 'create' your own units and customize the weapons on the units and buildings.

I never did try Empire Earth, but I heard it was fun.

Moon Project, the expansion for Earth 2150, was great; it was basically the original game plus extra units and maps. I played it off and on over the years, and at some small RTS lans we tried it out as well. The game had a lot of great innovations; such as the ability to customize vehicles and to build tunnels, trenches and bridges. On the other hand, the game required a lot of micro-management. You had to upgrade all units and structures each time you developed new tech levels, for example.

The fact that you have to re-arm any units that used projectile weapons was interesting. At first I thought it was unnecessary micro-management, but later I felt it added a new dimension; if you sent a large force to attack an enemy base and ended up in a skirmish in between, you'd have to re-arm your units before you could move on to assail the base.

The three armies were interesting; a "traditional" army based on tracked vehicles and helicopters, a robotic army based on 2 and 6 legged bots, and an all-hovercraft army. Each had strengths and weaknesses, and each had a unique energy weapon technology. I usually played the USF, the robotic army. They were the most rounded IMO; but mostly because the robots looked cool.. :thumbsup:
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#12 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:25 PM

i like the enders series alot. Where can i get a hold of homeworld and whatever the other game i need to play it with. THXs

Homeworld 2 is 20 beans or less at this point; it's worth picking up. :thumbsup:

#13 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 12:38 PM

I don't care what everybody says... C&C was the best franchise ever!! The only games I am missing for a complete collection is C&C Tiberian Dawn: EXP Pack, RA1: Both EXP Packs, RA2 and EXP Pack (although I have played RA2), and Renegade (The FPS game)

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#14 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:40 PM

Oh yeah!!!! :thumbsup: I love CnC Generals and the expansion pack to it, Zero Hour. As a matter of fact, I still play ZH from time to time, and will be playing it this weekend no doubt! They're both great RTS games!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#15 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:44 PM

I have to say that RA2 was a completely different experience for me. Just like the box said, the AI came up with totally different strategies for trying to beat me! If I strengthened(sp?) my walls they would send air units, and if I put more flaks/patriots they would send ground units. And I loved trying to hold off their rushes, even though it was somewhat frustrating. Now, if I can find some store that carries it to this day. >_>

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users