Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Files - PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 median

median

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

I am using Windows XP Pro SP3. I was attempting to move one folder (full of photos etc) into another folder. The files are located on an external drive (usb powered). Apparently the drive had "gone to sleep" and when I clicked to drag the folder into a different folder, everything froze for a few seconds until the drive "awoke" (I HATE SLEEPING DRIVES!). Anyways, the files started going into the wrong location. So I hit cancel. Once I did that I lost the majority of my files in the original folder and cannot find them. NOTE: I actually hit Control>Z and tried to undo what I did in windows explorer but got a message saying there was already a folder by that name (Folder1) in that place.

How do I get my files back? I checked the trash and they are not there :(

Thx,

median

Edited by median, 19 March 2013 - 02:22 PM.

"There is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way." Buddha

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

Files don't normally just vanish...even if the transfer of such is interrupted abruptly.

Use the following tool to search all drives for the files in question, Everything Desktop Search, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/everything-desktop-search/ .

If, in fact, the files have "disappeared", you can then try recovery software.

You can search for all graphics files...by just entering *.jpg or whatever file extension your files are using.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 March 2013 - 03:26 PM.

#3 median

median
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

I found my files!!! AH! Thank you SOO much. They accidently got moved to a different location due to the drive going to sleep. The everything program helped me find them and return them to the original place. Thank you again! I love Bleeping Computer!

"There is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way." Buddha

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

I've had plenty of practice finding "lost" files on my systems :)...glad it worked out for you.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users