Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot System Bluescreens 1 Of My Startup Choices...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OCD_Computer_Guy

OCD_Computer_Guy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

Hi all,

I got advice here from google searching how to recover bad startup files on my laptop(actually, I used a tutorial here) But I have a situation with my GF's `puter now. BACKGROUND: Bought two years ago a $400 Toshiba Laptop c655d. About a year ago she was having trouble so she re-installed Win 7 again only it didn't give a multiple choice for boot up options on start up. It has been buggy ever since. Freezing, restarting without explanation, etc. It was a gift for someone who has not a lot of computer knowledge but she uses it for working on and being OCD, I took it upon myself to help clean files and defrag, etc. without asking. I'm paying for that now...

I use Ccleaner with default options to clean the laptop. I used the command prompt on mine earlier(from the emergency boot up disk I created a month ago) to get back my startup files, and went through the "How to use the Windows 7 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt" tutorial here. One of the commands I came across was BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD. where I didn't have any installations on my computer, but I used it on hers and found 1 instance. I added ALL.

Hers now booted up with WINDOWS 7 option and underneath, WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM. She was using the 1st instance: WINDOWS 7. I started up each one to see what was on them. Like I said, the 1st instance was what she had been using for the past year. The 2nd was what she had initially, which was bare bones except for her PLANTS vs. ZOMBIES game. I looked at the EXPLORE files and took a look at WINDOWS.OLD. She had her Original, Original installation... the one that was installed by the factory. I believe she was having trouble with this one, then did multiple installations to fix it.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM: I used the tutorial mentioned above on hers to FIXBOOT, FIXMBR, SCANOS and CHKDSK /R /F. I then went into the 1st instance to Ccleaner all the dump files that I assumed would have been written on that install. Even though there were bad sectors that were supposedly fixed by CHKDSK, Ccleaner only dumped about 7 mb of temp and junk files. I then exited to check if I had quick startup access(it was normally taking 2 to 10 minutes to start hers up. She would never shut it off because of this, not to mention internal beeps going off from the BIOS having issues with ...I assume the multiple installs.) I did notice as soon as I used all the BOOTREC options to get her startup files going again, Windows started normally, not in 10 minutes. This was only fuel for the OCD fire to get in there and do a whole lot of good for my GF. Anyways, I try and start up the 1st instance now and get a BLUESCREEN that flashes too fast to see the error and then uses my EMERGENCY DISK in an endless loop of "Windows is trying to repair/Windows cannot repair".

She just happens to have files on the 1st instance she needs, but I don't think they got deleted, just no markers left to find them. Anybody have any ideas about retrieving files in the black hole of SEAGATE?

I have jump drives to work with and the computer is still woring, so I have hope. I was also told to never touch her computer again...

THX,

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

OCD_Computer_Guy,

I used the tutorial mentioned above on hers to FIXBOOT, FIXMBR, SCANOS and CHKDSK /R /F.

Just be aware that by running FixMBR, you have re-written a standard Microsoft MBR to the drive. You may not be able to access the Toshiba recovery partition (should one exist) at computer start-up using the Toshiba special function keys.

Anybody have any ideas about retrieving files in the black hole of SEAGATE?

How to recover your Documents from an unbootable Windows System:

What you will need:
  • Another computer with internet connection and a CD burner.
  • Software capable for "burning an "iso" image to CD" (see ImgBurn below)
  • A blank recordable CD disc.
  • A USB flash drive or external USB drive large enough to rescue all of your documents.

1. )  Start by downloading Precise Puppy Linux (166 MB) from here or here.

2. )  Burn the iso file to CD.  

•  
  • Don't know how or can't burn an "Iso" image?
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" folderIcon.jpg to the right and select the "iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon to "Start."  ImgBurn_s.jpg

3. )  Make sure your ailing computer is set to boot from CD\DVD drive first, either by pressing the appropriate "F" key to bring up the boot menu or by setting the computer to boot first from CD\DVDROM in Bios setup. (See how to)

• Boot the ailing computer with the newly created CD.
  • Puppy Linux is a "Live CD" which means that it runs outside of  the windows operating system that is on your computer.
  • Puppy should progress and run automatically.  When the desktop loads, click "OK" at the Quick Setup screen, then (X) out of the Welcome Screen.
  • Note the icons, bottom left, above the Menu button.  They represent each drive on your computer.  Plug in your USB flash drive if you haven't already.  The flash drive icon will soon appear (i.e. sdb1).

PreciseStart.jpg
  • Unlike Windows, in Puppy you only have to mouse click once on an icon to open it.
  • Find your system hard drive by exploring the hard drive icons ("hda" or "sda").
    • If you have more than one hard drive, your system drive will contain the Windows folder.
  • WINDOWS XP -  Click once on your hard drive.  Navigate to "Documents and Settings," then "<YourUserName>," and finally "My Documents" folder.

• WINDOWS Vista, 7, and 8 -  Click once on your hard drive.  Navigate to "Users," then "<YourUserName>."  You will see My Documents, My Music,  My Pictues folders listed.
    • Note: use the GreenArrow.jpg at the top left of the screen to go back up a directory.
  • Click once on your USB drive.  Now arrange the two screens by dragging them using the top, title bar so that both are visible; one on top of the other. Each window can be made smaller by positioning your mouse either on the top or right side of each window and dragging.

PreciseDesktop.jpg
  • Drag the files or folders that you want rescued into the USB drive and release.  Click "Copy."   Do the same for any other folders or files that are important.
    • (Note: Folder sizes may be quite large and exceed the capacity of your USB flash drive.  File copying may have to be performed sequentially)
  • When the flash drive is full, you can right mouse click on the Desktop flash drive icon and select "Dismount." Remove flash drive and copy files to another computer.  Re-insert flash drive into non bootable system to recover additional files.
  • To "Exit" Puppy Linux, click "Menu," "Shutdown," and "Reboot computer."  
    • You will be presented with a screen asking to save any personal settings.  
    • Click "Do Not Save."
  • The system will reboot.  Remove the CD.

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 OCD_Computer_Guy

OCD_Computer_Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

Thanks Brooks,

And alas, the only install that is available is the latter WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM... The one not needed. Good news is there was info that was presumed lost with the initial install a year ago, so I'm glad you were here to help. I have you on speed dial now so i'll chime in with anything short of an explosion. =)

Mike

Thanks for the cool tool too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users