Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Class Factory Cannot Supply Requested Class

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 abeazar

abeazar

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:50 PM

I need some help - I am running Windows XP Home edition - Service Pak 2, all current updates, AdAware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, and AVG. All products are current.

Several programs that I have attempted to load - PowerDVD, and most recently, U.S. Robotics Wireless Card installation programs never complete installation - on both I get the following pop-up windows stating:

Class factory cannot supply requested class

Any ideas on what is causing this problem - I have searched the web and contacted the manufacturers - still no working solution.

I am looking for a fix - I have reinstalled Windows Script 5.6 and Java Runtime Environment Version 5.0 Update 6. No luck - still getting the same error each time I attempt to load the software.

Thanks for your assistance on this one!

Abe :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:43 PM

Welcome to the BC board Abe.

Did you check to see if all the Windows Updates you have were sucessfully installed?

The guys here are great. I ran out of ideas on the WR board, but the folks here will surely help.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:45 AM

This is the sort of problem that has no ready explanation. First thing I'd try, though, is to run System File Checker. (Start -> Run, type "command", in the black DOS emulator, type
sfc /scannow
Could be a damaged system file, or something else entirely, like a plug-in that doesn't work with a newer version of a program.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:10 PM

This appears to be a Windows Media Player error - and it relates to there being a problem with a non-Microsoft codec. I'd suggest uninstalling your codecs and reinstalling them using the most updated versions available. Here's the link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...e/0074.mspx#EEC

If that doesn work and SFC.EXE doesn't work I'd suggest a repair install of Windows. These problems are typically associated with a specific piece of software - since this occurs for many programs with you, I'd have to suspect that it's a Windows issue because of this. Here's a link to a how-to for repair installation of Windows XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 abeazar

abeazar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:55 AM

Welcome to the BC board Abe.

Did you check to see if all the Windows Updates you have were sucessfully installed?

The guys here are great. I ran out of ideas on the WR board, but the folks here will surely help.

Herk,

Thanks for the tip - no luck - per usasma, I did have a "non-Microsoft Codec" that I removed - no luck and I also uninstalled Windows Media and then later reinstalled it - no effect.

I reinstalled Windows XP service pak 2 - I had a CD that came from Microsoft - no effect. Before I attempt the repair install - which seems to have possible adverse effects - I am uninstalling several other software programs to see if I can find the culprit.

If anyone comes up with other suggestions - please send them my way!

Thanks to one and all for your suggestions!

Abe :thumbsup:

Edited by abeazar, 07 April 2006 - 04:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users