Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio Interruption

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sonofwilliam

sonofwilliam

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

During the audio playback of any source (offline or online) the audio will be interrupted with a tone or two of short duration. Then more play and in a few seconds another interruption. I  thought it was a virus or malware. The Malware Response Team have thoroughly ruled that out. After running ComboFix for malware the interruption was temporarily removed until the system was rebooted, then it returned. Strange behavior! Even the System Startup audio is interrupted the same way.

Mod Edit; Moved to Audio forum as you say it is not infected. ~~ boopme

Edited by boopme, 22 March 2013 - 01:33 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sonofwilliam

sonofwilliam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

The ComboFix trick stopped working this morning. Interruption all the time; even on system startup Windows audio! Plus the system has begun random shutdowns that leave it unable to shut off. Only the power plug will turn off the blank screens (in a variety of colors so far).

Edited by sonofwilliam, 20 March 2013 - 07:26 AM.

#3 sonofwilliam

sonofwilliam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

I'm begining to suspect one of the many hard drive functiions is failing. Strange behavior of the mouse, keyboard, sounds and involuntary shutting down point toward system problem rather than component problem. The HD is a Hitacfhi product. That mfr has a reputation for HD failure. The HD is 50 to 60  months old and the mfr warranty ends at 36 mo.s. How long do they typically last? I'm looking for a software or site that will thoroughly check out the HD, including rotatyion consistency. The Hitachi site was not friendly because it had been bought by WD and it was just too complicated.

#4 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

Many of those sites are not friendly.  I would also be willing to bet hard drive failure. I would simply use the process of elimination.  It will take a while but may be worth it in the end.  Take one drive offline at a time.  Use the machine until you either hear the tone or get the odd behavior.  If it occurs then disconnect the next one in line and so on.  Be sure to reconnect the one you just disconnected before disconnecting another one.  Once the machine works normally and one HD is not connected you may have your culprit.  I would then reconnect it to see if it happens again.  If it does, copy all data to another and disconnect it again. 

Do you have space to load Windows on one of the other HD's?  In case it is your OS drive.You'll want to test that one too.

What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

#5 sonofwilliam

sonofwilliam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

Thanks for weighing in. I didn't mean to mislead you. I only have the one OS drive. I was referring to the many functions (apparently there are a lot of ways a HD can malfunction) of the HD. However, your comment did cause me to wonder if I could (should?) use the same process of elimination with the HD partitions. I'm not very skilled at using the drive partitioning, but I would hope that I could follow your instruction.

#6 sonofwilliam

sonofwilliam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

I would like to know how to do this: "configured in your control panel to receive immediate topic reply notifications"

#7 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

that just means that you follow this thread so you get a notification via email when there is a reply made.

What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

#8 sonofwilliam

sonofwilliam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

It's kind of quiet out there in forum land. Reckon I'm on my own!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users