Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dbgeng.dll was not found

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Magil

Magil

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:21 AM

Basically, this:

4764840T.jpg

(this is a Google Images result, disregard everything BUT the error message in the middle. I would've posted my own screenshot, but the forums wouldn't let me.)

Of course, reinstalling any crashed application doesn't fix my problem.

Anyways, I haven't managed to isolate exactly what causes it since I have no idea what exactly is this file responsible for. But it occurs in a number of applications that immediately crashes them with only this dialog box as my only warning.

To specify a couple of examples that provoke this error:

- The Neverwinter Nights mod called "NWN Shader" (found here: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Other.Detail&id=1443). I realize that it might not be possible for my computer's integrated graphics card to run it at all (my current specifications are in this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489046/suspicious-decrease-in-available-hdd-space/), but its occurrence is not limited to displaying video.

- Switching sound emulation in old video game console emulators (such as SNES and the like) from being software dependant to hardware dependant.

- Running Speccy (from http://www.piriform.com). This one is actually new. It just occurred for the first time within the past hour as of this writing (since I could run it without any issues before), but it only happened once. The program now crashes after informing me that it couldn't initialize a specifc dll required to display system infromation.

So what I want to know is: what exactly is dbgeng.dll? What is it responsible for? And how exactly do I go about reinstalling it on my system? I've been googling for answers regarding this issue on and off for the past couple of months, and what I've gathered was that I required updating my video drivers to the latest version (which I did, but caused me alot of problems since my laptop requires special drivers provided only by the manufacturer). But my problem still remained.

Any insight would be helpful. Thank you for taking your time to read this. I hope for a prompt response.

Edited by Magil, 19 March 2013 - 05:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

You should have dbgeng.dll in system32. There should also be a copy in system32\dllcache. See if they are there. If you don't find it in system32 but find it in dllcache, simply copy it from dllcache to system32. If you don't find either, you're going to need your Windows CD.

Put your Windows CD into the drive. Note down the drive letter.
Run this command in a command prompt...
expand -r <cdrom drive letter>:\i386\dbgeng.dl_ %windir%\system32

See if Speccy runs now.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

Worth a look, IMO:  http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/dbgeng-dll-not-found-missing-error.htm

Louis

#4 Magil

Magil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

You should have dbgeng.dll in system32. There should also be a copy in system32\dllcache. See if they are there. If you don't find it in system32 but find it in dllcache, simply copy it from dllcache to system32. If you don't find either, you're going to need your Windows CD.

Checked that folder, but it wasn't there. I'm also quite sure that I'm running on a pirated version of Windows, though I have an original copy somewhere in my stuff. However, that copy of Windows is extremely old (the disc only installs SP1 when performing a fresh installation). Would there be any problem if I used that disc? Also, would that file be in a disc that old?

On a final note: would it be against the rules to solicit from you a copy of said .dll? Or should I just perform a fresh Windows installation using my original disc instead? I'd like to avoid the latter, since I have no method to backup my files at the moment, and it's going to be a hassle both asking someone else to provide temporary space for my files on their HDD, as well as moving it back and forth.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

<<I'm also quite sure that I'm running on a pirated version of Windows...>>

Sorry, but that is a direct violation of the forum rules (see link in my signature).

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

If you have any questions about this...please send me a personal message (PM).