Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Error with External Network HD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 szchris384

szchris384

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

Hope someone can help me here.  Don't know if it's a Windows 7 issue or a Hardware issue.

Some files will not transfer to my External Network HD and give the following error message:

"There is a problem accessing \\SZOSTAKHDEXT\Public, make sure you are connected to the network and try again."

Tried from this Win 7 desktop to XP desktop, and same issue, some files copy, some don't.

Go the other way from XP desktop to this Win 7 desktop and everything copies fine.

Everything copies from the Ext Network HD to this Win 7 desktop no problem.

The file size doesn't seem to matter too much, by that I mean large (350mb+) or small (40mb) some files won't copy.  I keep trying the same files over and eventually some of them will copy, but some just don't want to at all.

I have a notebook with Win7 and it has no problem copying the same files that won't copy from my desktop.  I have an XP desktop that will copy just fine also.

The desktop in question here is running Win7 Pro 64bit.  The onboard NIC has been disabled and a replacement NIC has been put in the system.

"Agere Systems ET-131x PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter" has been in use for about a year now.  Just got the Ext HD 2 months ago.

Thinking about replacing the NIC with a different one to test it out.

Anyone have any insight before I do.

Chris

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:36 AM

Can you check the LAN adapter's Properties - Speed & Duplex and change it other than the default value?

Tekken

#3 szchris384

szchris384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

Thank you for the response and sorry for not replying sooner, work issues.

Yes there is a Link speed and Duplex setting with the following values:

Auto detect

Autoneg 1000Mbps/Full only

Autoneg 100Mbps/Full only

Autoneg 100Mbps/Half only

Autoneg 10Mbps/Full only

Autoneg 10Mbps/Half only

It was set at Auto detect.  I have tried each setting, rebooted after each change, tried the copy process again with the same results.

Changing the speed/duplex setting didn't seem to matter.

Chris

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

A general information on network sharing issues may help you here http://www.nowiressecurity.com/articles/troubleshooting_network_sharing_issues.htm

Tekken

#5 szchris384

szchris384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:45 AM

Thanks for the post on general network sharing issues.  However they are general sharing/network tips.  I feel my issues are beyond those tips.

I have no issues with sharing files or connecting to other computers.

30,000+ files copy no problem, just a hand full of files won't, and it's not always the same files.

Let me share some more information:

This all started to come to light when "checking up" on a backup program that is supposed to backup files automatically.  Genie Timeline Pro v2.  When first creating the backup set, it copies all files first, then monitors changes to the files and backs them up when they have changed.

After creating the backup set for the first time it creates a log of files that could not be copied.  After "checking up" on the backup log, it shows a hand full of files that were not copied to the destination drive.  After several days with Genie techs, they have determined that the hand full of files in the log file didn't copy because access was denied, and the specific network name is no longer available.

So, then I tried to copy the exact same files manually to the destination drive, getting the error listed in my first post.  Several attempts to copy the files, the error pops up after 10 min, some times after 30 min, 5 min, etc.  Always on different files.  Files that didn't copy one time, did copy the next time, vice-versa.

I've tried different Network drives, same results.

I've tried copying to other computers shared drives, same results.

I've parsed down the network to just my computer and the network drive on my router, nothing else connected.

Last attempt was your suggestion to change the link speed of the network card, same results.

Think I'll try to find an old card that will run on Win 7 and give it a shot, unless you have another suggestion.

Chris

#6 szchris384

szchris384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:56 AM

Put an old card that is Win7 compatible (100mb), and it works just fine.

Going to buy a brand name 1000mb card and see if that will work instead of the one I was using.

Chris

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:50 AM

Thank you for sharing back the solution. :)

Tekken

#8 szchris384

szchris384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

Yup, new 1000mb card works just fine.

Chris

Consider this closed.