Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't find drivers when installing Windows 7.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PzNguyen

PzNguyen

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

This computer had windows 7 installed but suddenly was unable to boot. I'm attempting to install windows 7 again, but where the installer asks me "where do you want to install windows?"  it tells me "No drivers were found." and the list that usually shows drives and partitions remains unpopulated.

Other things that may be important: 

My friend had windows 7 installed on the computer from a bootleg disk. I read that doing this improperly has caused the problem.

The BIOS is already set on ACHI mode

Model: Inspiron N5040

I could not locate a recovery image.

any help is appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ash004

ash004

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

This is a french site which detect all your Missing drivers on your computer and give u Links for downloading very easy to use, 

Go to  :http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=29

scroll down and click on Lancer la détection

this will Launch a simple java Application which is going to scan your computer and detects all missing drivers after that,  u see all missing drivers with there download Link, Just download :) and install them hope its helps,

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:21 AM

My friend had windows 7 installed on the computer from a bootleg disk.

Your laptop computer must have come with a recovery partition to restore to factory settings and make your own recovery discs which must have been wipe-out already by using a bootleg copy which is not a good decision on your friend's part.

Tekken

#4 PaulJoe

PaulJoe

• Banned Spammer
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:45 AM

in windows program files you can find swsetup folder or you can download it from site

#5 PzNguyen

PzNguyen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

This is a french site which detect all your Missing drivers on your computer and give u Links for downloading very easy to use, 

Go to  :http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=29

scroll down and click on Lancer la détection

this will Launch a simple java Application which is going to scan your computer and detects all missing drivers after that,  u see all missing drivers with there download Link, Just download :) and install them hope its helps,

Tried this, couldnt get it to load on the computer

in windows program files you can find swsetup folder or you can download it from site

what site? how do i access the folder? when i turn the computer on, nothing will boot. i just get a blinking underscore

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

If the computer does not boot and the setup disc says no drives found, then the hard drive has probably failed. Is this what the message says? Check whether the hard drive is detected in the BIOS.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 PzNguyen

PzNguyen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:39 AM

If the computer does not boot and the setup disc says no drives found, then the hard drive has probably failed. Is this what the message says? Check whether the hard drive is detected in the BIOS.

In Bios it says "Fixed HDD.........None" =/. Is it fixable or would we have to purchase a new hard drive?

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,000 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:18 AM

The drive itself could be faulty (most likely), or the interface or power connection/source in the laptop could cause the same symptom. Probably the best way to be sure is to remove the drive from the laptop and get the use of a USB adapter/enclosure, see if the drive can be accessed that way. If not, get a new hard drive. If it works OK in an adapter, the fault is in the laptop, either not powering the drive, or the SATA interface faulty.

#9 PzNguyen

PzNguyen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:37 AM

I heard this problem from other people in my online searches, a lot of them were also caused by a faulty Windows 7 CD installation. Unfortunately i could not find out how they solved their problem. :(

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,000 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:55 AM

The drive has to be recognized in the BIOS before Windows can be involved at all. Make sure that the HDD setting in the BIOS hasn't been manually set to "None". If the BIOS cannot see the drive at all, then the problem is there, and not anything to do with the installation disk.

#11 PzNguyen

PzNguyen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

The drive has to be recognized in the BIOS before Windows can be involved at all. Make sure that the HDD setting in the BIOS hasn't been manually set to "None". If the BIOS cannot see the drive at all, then the problem is there, and not anything to do with the installation disk.

You were right, turns out the laptop had been dropped. Thanks for your help!

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,000 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

You're welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users