Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop shortcuts only open to "properties" and other problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rxrx

rxrx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

No sign of "fake virus".  Could this be an OS glitch?  Besides not being able to access programs through shortcuts, start menu is not accessible.  The only way to get to programs is through Task Manager using file, new task, and browse for the program. Will not let me type in address bar.  I am running Malwarebytes as I type this inquiry on another computer.  Thanks for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

Do you have an anti virus app installed? If so, you should also run a full scan with that.

#3 rxrx

rxrx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

Malaware and Spybot revealed no malicious threats. Running full scan AVG in safe mode. Any other suggestions?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

Let's see what AVG comes up with - but it does sound like either malware or a corrupt user profile. Do you have another profile on the system you can check?

#5 rxrx

rxrx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:51 PM

AVG also showed no malicious problems.  I decided to reinstall my keyboard and mouse and that seems to have done the trick!  I think it's pretty weird that such a disabling problem could get fixed in this way, but I'll take it.  Thank you.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

Well, I'm not sure what led you to reinstalling the kb & mouse, but okay - if it worked it worked. Thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users