Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Flash Drive is broken/unreadable

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kingsocarso

kingsocarso

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

PC Model/Make: Dell XPS 14 Z (Less than 1 year old)

USB: 2GB unmarked; given at a conference.

Problem: My USB contains all my important files, many of which were not backed up. I need these files in a short term! A friend of mine used the USB and pulled it out while un-ejected. That, in addition with possible unforeseen problems, made the USB unreadable/broken. At first, it would show and would be fully accessible, but would quickly disconnect itself and become an "unknown" drive. Normally, recovering corrupt drivers are simple. Simply copy all the files out and format the drive. Unfortunately, this was completely broken. The computer doesn't even detect the drive. The drive doesn't show up or shows up as "Removable Disk (E:)" and is not openable. The driver does install itself.

Here are the steps I took to try to fix this:

-Used the drive on several different computers

-Used recursive chkdsk on the E drive. It returned with an error.

-Used three disk recovery tools (DDR Pen Drive Recovery (Demo), iCare Card Recovery Free, and iCare Data Recovery Free). All of these found the drive but did not find anything in or about it, just like Windows.

-Tried flipping through unused drive letters and attempted to change drive letter for the USB via Disk Management. The change didn't work.

-Tried uninstalling the driver and plugging the USB back in, reinstalling the driver. That reinstalled the driver but didn't work.

-Tried Drive troubleshooting from the "Devices and Printers" screen

I'm going to need a fix ASAP, since the files are really urgent.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

Hi

I know that I'm stating the obvious but your best bet at this point is to send it to a professional recovery company.

Do you remember what it said in Disk Management about the drive?

I mean, was it the right size? Did it have an area on it that said Unallocated or RAW?

Did the recovery software see the drive as the correct size?

James 

#3 kingsocarso

kingsocarso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

Hi

I know that I'm stating the obvious but your best bet at this point is to send it to a professional recovery company.

Do you remember what it said in Disk Management about the drive?

I mean, was it the right size? Did it have an area on it that said Unallocated or RAW?

Did the recovery software see the drive as the correct size?

James 

The recovery software found 0 sectors and 0 bytes of data in the drive. Quite obviously, it's not empty; it has 2 GB of storage space. I remember 577 MB of that or so free, but that's just off-topic.

#4 kingsocarso

kingsocarso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

Oh also, where would I find these recovery companies?

#5 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

A google search for "flash recovery service" will get you some of the companies. They all pretty much do it the same way. You probably want a company that has been doing it awhile and do it often. It sometimes takes skills that work best when used on a regular basis.

What I meant before was to ask if the Disk Manager and recovery software specifically said that it saw a 2GB drive.

James

#6 kingsocarso

kingsocarso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

A google search for "flash recovery service" will get you some of the companies. They all pretty much do it the same way. You probably want a company that has been doing it awhile and do it often. It sometimes takes skills that work best when used on a regular basis.

What I meant before was to ask if the Disk Manager and recovery software specifically said that it saw a 2GB drive.

James

Ah ok. It saw the USB as a "USB MEMORY BAR" with 0 KB and 0 Files. It also did not have any Raw files.

#7 kingsocarso

kingsocarso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

Also, I live in Southern Illinois. I did a search and the closest data recovery place is in Chicago. It's not very practical to send a USB drive all the way up to Chicago....

Would you have any idea as *any* other institutions can do this type of thing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users