Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite L655 won't start

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Blackstar57

Blackstar57

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

Hello;

I have a friend's Toshiba Satellite L655 that won't start. Power light comes on when plugged in. DC in light comes on. HD light flashes on then off. Fan is running. Operating sys is Win 7.

I've checked the HD on my computer using a docking base. AVG found 5 viruses, a worm and 4 possible Trojans. Cleaned and reinstalled in laptop. No change.

There are 2 ram modules, 1gig and 2 gig. Removed and tried each one individually. Nothing.

Removed HD and tried to boot with Win XP Live cd. Nothing.

Tried another HD without an operating system thinking I would get a "can't find boot disc" or something like that. Nothing.

Is there something obvious I missed or is the Mobo toast?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Glenn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

Hi

Does anything happen if you hold down F2 and press the power button while continuing to hold down F2?

James

#3 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:46 AM

Hi Dave

Nope, nothing happened. I also , last night, tried charging the battery while the laptop was just sitting on my other desk. Then I noticed the battery getting extremely hot. 

Now I'm wondering if something got hot one time before. The battery was removed when I received the computer. He said it was dead and that a friend told him to remove it and just run with the AC adapter.

While this computer is sitting there trying to start, the fan starts to blow out heat just like the computer is normally running. Quite a bit of heat actually.

Glenn

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

Yeah, this sounds like an overheating issue.

The F2 trick is for resetting the BIOS in the case that Fast Boot is turned on and there is a problem that needs to be fixed in the BIOS but you can't access it normally because of the Fast Boot setting.

Often overheating will completely shut off power but not always so the F2 trick is a pretty good way to tell the difference between overheating and a different problem.

If I had the laptop, I'd open it up and check the fan for any clogs (sometimes I pull more lint out of these than I do out of my dryer :) )

Then I'd check the seating of the heatsinks and remove them, clean the old thermal compound off and put fresh thermal compound on and reinstall (or replace thermal pads if that is what is used).

I'd also remove the CMOS battery or at least apply the jumper to reset it if it is soldered in. Sometimes this needs to be reset after a serious overheating event.

Disassembling one of these can be a daunting task and there is a lot of potential mistakes that can be made so be careful and well prepared if you attempt it.

James

#5 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

Thanks James.

I've had a couple laptops apart before but they were both mine and I didn't mind if I screwed them up. :wink:

I'll talk to the owner and see if he wants me to continue. It's useless to him as-is right now.

I plugged it in last night for about an hour to see if the battery would charge and it got extremely hot.

I'll check Youtube to see if there's a video on this model.

Again, thanks for the info...

Glenn

#6 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

Owner of laptop accepted that he has serious overheating problems. He has already bought a replacement . Thanks for all help provided.

Glenn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users