Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power button board cable connector issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Greetings everyone.

Am finishing up replacing a video cable on a 3 year old HP G60.

I have been following this guide:

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/remove-replace-damaged-lcd-screen-hp-g50-g60-g70-notebook/

And everything seems to be going well but I'm at an impasse.

Did a little searching and found this post:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/384410/it-started-as-a-fan-replacementsigh-hp-g60-125/

Basically I can not figure out how to get the power button cable connector put back together.

In the bleeping computer post above MrBruce1959 has a great shot of the exact type of connector I'm working with (in post # 6) and killerx525 makes mentions in post # 8 that he uses a flat head screwdriver to lock and unlock those clips but I can't seem to figure out how this *little* piece of black plastic is to go back in/on there.

I have done a ton of searching and all I've found are people with the same problem but no answers.

Has anyone out there successfully put one of these clips back in?

Know of any site that has some seriously detailed photos or how-to's?

I'm not in huge hurry to get this done but I feel awkward having bought the new video cable only to be vexed by the existing power button board cable.  :(

onward (?)

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

Can You post an image of the problem connector? Use the attach files. First select "More Reply Options" Then at the bottom of the post will appear the attach files.

This might help.
Inserting An Image Within A Post

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/14738/inserting-an-image-within-a-post/

Sample: badcaps.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:23 AM

Greeting Roger and thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I had some issues getting some close up shots but I think I did it, now if I can just figure out how to post them...here we go:

Here is the over all view with the area I'm working on outlined in Red.

FullView_G60.jpg

Here is a detailed shot with the ribbon just laying in where the pesky little black clip is supposed to go in:

withtheribbonin.jpg

And, since I'm not sure if I'm eating up too much bandwidth/resources here is a shot of the clip itself laying just to the left of the ribbon cable.

I'll post another couple of views in another post. I didn't realize these photos were so darn big. If you think I should resize them, please let me know and I will:

sideprofile.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I really do appreciate it!

Winterland

#4 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:29 AM

Another couple of shots, the first with the ribbon pulled out of the area it's supposed to go in:

withribbonpulledout.jpg

And a couple more angles of the clip itself:

oneside.jpg

And the other side:

theotherside.jpg

Again, I just can't seem to figure out how to insert / push / connect this little black clip into the area where it's supposed to hold that power ribbon in place...I didn't want to force it, so I thought I'd reach out.

Thanks again.

Winterland

#5 PaulJoe

PaulJoe

• Banned Spammer
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:50 AM

it was the nice piece of information..

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

OK that was what I was afraid of. That Locking Piece is not supposed to be removed from the connector.

The little ears on the side face the back of the laptop.

The way that woks is that the locking piece when pushed into the connector pushes down on the ribbon cable so that it is pressed against the connectors.

This is the service manual for the G60

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02985882.pdf

The trick is to get the locking piece oriented properly. Looking at the Keyboard connector should give You a helpful hint. Once it is in and tested a Piece of good durable sticky tape to ensure that the latch piece does not come out of the connector in use will help.

It might be helpful to take a good picture of the locking tab from the end that has the ears on it showing the configuration of that edge.

Do not force it as You do not want to break the little lock part as then You'll have to find a exact replacement on the Internet.

This may help understand it better.

http://kyorune.com/modding/file.php?art=49&file=2

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 19 March 2013 - 10:39 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

Hey there Roger, thanks for the info, links and the animated gif...it does help quite a bit.

I guess I'll just take my time and try to *gently* find that correct / magic orientation and hopefully get this spiffy laptop back up and running.

If / when I get that back on I'll let you know.

Again, thanks for taking the time.

Winterland

#8 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

Well...I managed to gently pop that Power Button board cable connector back into place, gently holding it down into place with a flat head screwdriver (thanks to an idea introduced to me by killerx525, thanks killer!) and a pair of needle nose pliers.

Put it all back together, powered it up...and now I've still got the original dimly lit screen problem, very difficult to see and if I hold the monitor on the back / left side and gently push in towards me it flickers back to where it is / was working properly, i.e. I can actually see the screen.   :P

Rats.

So, if not the brand new video cable...what would be another avenue to think about? Inverter? Junk pile? Heave with great force?

By the way, thanks to everyone who checked in and helped out!   :thumbup2:

Going to find another cup of coffee.

onward,

Winterland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users