Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD destroys computer?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bladetucker

bladetucker

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hello, the details are a bit few at the moment but I wanted to get the opinion from the experts, because this sounds extremely fishy.

I burned a .mp4 to a client, let's call them Joe.  Joe then uses that footage to edit what parts they need and then burned that new .mp4 to send to their client, lets call them Sally.

Sally then complains that the disc Joe gave them corrupted/destroyed their computer and they want to be compensated.  I know Joe is an upstanding person, they got their blank media from a reputable seller and they didn't put a virus on there or anything.  So far Sally hasn't provided any details.  But this is making me anxious, could a defective DVD actually bring a computer to complete failure like that? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

You're going to have to be more specific as to what you mean by 'destroyed'. Are we talking physical destruction, or the computer just won't start up anymore? It's really impossible to even begin to speculate without more information on the situation.

For the former. . . it is feasible that a defective/damaged disk could shatter in the drive and cause some damage. That's a one in a million shot though. . . and requires that the disk be defective and/or previously weakened. In which case, given the assumption that Joe did not tamper with the disk (which would be stupid when working with a client), the fault wouldn't even lie with Joe. It would lie with the manufacturer.

For the latter. . . it is extremely unlikely that a simple mp4 file would bring a system to complete failure without software she previously had installed playing a decisive role.

If this Sally is unable or unwilling to provide explicit detail of her computer issues and how they relate to the use of the DVD then the claim can be essentially dismissed. She'd be foolish to try and file a suit on something so flimsy.

This being said, I am not a lawyer. If this Sally were to threaten a suit I would advise Joe to consult with a legal professional of his own.

Hope that helps

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 bladetucker

bladetucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

Thanks Blade.  We sound related btw...

Yeah, I had a feeling the accusation sounded a bit thin.  I didn't press Joe what he meant by destroyed, but I'm guessing it just won't function, turn on anymore.  A computer corrupting a DVD sounds plausible, but not the other way around.  Even if it was some super virus, it's not like whole computer would need replacing.  I'm gonna keep investigating...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users