Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card needs replacing - compatability issues?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jarriaga27

jarriaga27

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

I would like assistance with choosing a graphics card. I have two in mind but I'm not sure if they are compatible with my unit.

My current desktop configuration is Dell Studio Desktop with Vista OS, 350W Power Supply, 6GB ram memory. My cardbus connector is 16x and the current GPU is NVidia GeForce 9800gt which is not working right. When I log in, there's boxes and lines when the screen should be black. After I log in, the icons are huge, and there's multi colored wavy lines accross the screen. Before it got this bad, I noticed that my screen would go blue and had to shut down the computer by holding down the power button. When I would restart, I would get a two-beep with no image on the screen and the fan would speed up. Eventually that problem went away and things seemed normal until the images on the screen came up looking as mentioned above. I haven't seen the blue screen and there are no more issues with the beeping.  Replacing the card seems to me like the only fix.

The three items I'm considering are on Tigerdirect's website: Item#s V261-0212, V261-4352 and V261-4350. The factors I took into consideration are the DVI connection I need, the fact that it's 512MB and PCI-E. I tried to keep the specs as close to the GeForce 9800gt as I could. When  I went to Dell's website with my service#, they recommended the Radeon X1300 at $100 but it's 256mb and looks like it's an older model. I'm thinking I could get a better one at the same or lower price.

I read that the biggest issue to worry about is whether my power supply and operating system will support/handle the new card. I have been looking to narrow my search down for the past two weeks. Bleepingcomputer provided me with helpful guidance in the past so I am hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users