Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dreaded Windows 8 has "SafeModeophobia!"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 XavierJ

XavierJ

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

Sorry with the title, I really don't know what else to call it.

So quite literally my computer CAN NOT boot into safe mode. That's any of the safe modes. Safe mode (normal) Safe mode with networking, nothing. I am able to get it to the advanced startup screen where it lets you select your options, but once I choose a safe mode option it WILL NOT BOOT INTO IT

Some symptoms I noticed and things I tried:

-If I select a safe mode, it shows the windows logo for a few mins and then fades out to a grey screen. and.... thats it. it hangs on a grey screen for eternity. No cursor, No "You are in safe mode" prompt, no windows, nothing. Just a grey screen that hangs there until you shut it off.

-I tried the msconfig thing where you set it to automatically boot into safe mode and ALMOST LOST MY COMPUTER. Since it always booted into safe mode (which was still broken mind you), it booted into that grey screen of death automatically and there was no way to return it back to normal! I literally had to delete the BCD string via command prompt using a usb stick with windows recovery on it (thank god i had that) using

bcdedit /delete {That super long number}

which took off the msconfig settings, but as you know it now booted to an 0x0000098 error

even more frustrated I did more research and found that I had to rebuild the bcd thanks to this lovely link:

http://superuser.com/questions/451277/missing-boot-files-in-windows-8

So now this is where I'm at, I am back to being able to normally boot in windows 8, but its back to square one with this Safemodeophobia! It simply will not let me get into safe mode :(

Other things I tried:

-Scanning the computer with multiple anti-virus software. Used BitDefender 2013, Eset Smart Security, Windows Defender (win 8 version) but there is no scan results, which is frustrating... I don't know what else to do..

-Used ccleaner and returned no issues.

-Trying sfc /scannow to see if that works but my hopes aren't too high of it finding anything.

-Trying full scan with windows defender to see if it finds anything.

If anyone can resolve this issue or point me in the right direction here, you will literally be saving my life. I really hope that someone can resolve this problem :(

I have Windows 8 Pro X64 Bit (legal copy purchased as an upgrade from Windows 7)

Edited by XavierJ, 18 March 2013 - 10:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 calden

calden

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

Click on "Tutorials" see under Bleeping Computer heading....link above.....info on page 6.....hope this helps.

#3 XavierJ

XavierJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

None of those "Tutorials" apply to my issue......

#4 calden

calden

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

So quite literally my computer CAN NOT boot into safe mode. That's any of the safe modes.

If you click on Tutorials, then click on Windows 8, then proceed to page 6 you will see "HOW TO START WINDOWS 8 IN SAFE MODE".

And below that "HOW TO ACCESS THE ADVANCED STARTUP OPTIONS IN WINDOWS 8".

Edited by calden, 18 March 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#5 XavierJ

XavierJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

So quite literally my computer CAN NOT boot into safe mode. That's any of the safe modes.

If you click on Tutorials, then click on Windows 8, then proceed to page 6 you will see "HOW TO START WINDOWS 8 IN SAFE MODE".

And below that "HOW TO ACCESS THE ADVANCED STARTUP OPTIONS IN WINDOWS 8".

Please re-read my first post. Like I said that is not my issue.. My issue is not being able to ACCESS safe mode. I know HOW to enter safe mode. I don't need instructions on how to get to the advanced startup screen or how to start my computer to boot in safe mode.

My issue is that SAFE MODE DOES NOT START WHEN I TRY TO BOOT IT SAFE MODE. I know how to get into advanced startup options, but if I click an option from there like safe mode or safe mode with networking, it will go to a grey screen with nothing on it for eternity. This is not normal, it usually shows the desktop with a few icons and a cursor and a prompt that says "Windows 8 safe mode" or something. I see NONE OF THAT after I select safe mode except for a grey screen that hangs.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:55 PM

I think this could be a driver issue. Since by nature "safe" mode uses minimal default drivers. I could be wrong as i am just learning Windows 8 just like everyone else. What is the make and model of the pc, what version of Windows did you upgrade from.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 XavierJ

XavierJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

I think this could be a driver issue. Since by nature "safe" mode uses minimal default drivers. I could be wrong as i am just learning Windows 8 just like everyone else. What is the make and model of the pc, what version of Windows did you upgrade from.

I have an ASUS K53SV

I had Windows 7 Home Premium which then was legally upgraded to Windows 8 Pro. Out of the box it had a working safemode. After a few months for some reason it stopped working..

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

Check your Update history in Programs and features and see if any driver updates were installed.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users