Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying Data from External HD to External HD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

Warning:  This may be a dumb question.

I have a large amount of data stored on an external HD.  I want to copy it to another external HD for safety purposes.  It will be nearly 2 TB.  The last time I did this (with less data), it took almost two days. I realize that is a lot of data to copy.  I used a laptop running Windows 7.   It isn't a particularly powerful laptop, perhaps just a dual processor.  And I am not a hardcore laptop guy as I much prefer using my desktop.  My real question is what power options do I set my laptop at so it won't shut down or go to sleep?  I'm not quite certain that is an issue.

If you have any recommendations on how to speed up this process, I'm all eyes.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 R A D 1321

R A D 1321

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

If you would not like the computer to go to sleep, simply udjust your power setting to not do so and then change back if desired. I know you said you use a laptop, however if you have access to a desktop you could easily remove the hard drives from the enclosures and install into the desktop for the transfer. Hope this helps anything.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

It would be a lot simpler to just back up the data...then restore it to the new home.

The USB bus is going to make it take forever, doing it the way that you describe.

The fastest way...would be just clone the entire drive/partition...to the new drive, using a program like Macrium Reflect.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users