Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best method of protection?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mazdarx5

mazdarx5

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

I have had a lot of problems with viruses and I would like to learn how to better protect myself.  The problem is, I think Bleeping Computer is a good site as I have received help from here before but when I downloaded show-hidden.exe, trend micro said it was a suspicious program.  I do realise that I download programs from any site at my own risk but what I am wondering is...how do I know when it IS safe?

If you know of a method to make sure something is safe prior to downloading, please let me know.

Regards

Maz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 th3p00r

th3p00r

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

The best method is to browse the web on a virtual PC such as MS virtual PC or virtual box.  If it got infected, it's only the virtual OS not your physical system.

Edited by th3p00r, 18 March 2013 - 08:28 AM.

#3 mazdarx5

mazdarx5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

Thank you for your advice. I will have to look into it as I have no idea what a virtual PC or virtual box is. I will do a google search unless you have any suggestions:-)

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

Applications may have malicious intent when used by the wrong person. Anti-malware tools and Anti-virus scanners can't tell what the intent of the tool is. Therefore it will report it as risky or malicious if it's possible to be misused. While the reality is the tool is perfectly fine, yet be fully aware, it may be quite powerful in it's abilities.

The analogy being that you see a knife. What type of knife? In the hands of a criminal it's potentially lethal, at a minimum dangerous. In the hands of a chef or doctor it can create wondrous things or save lives. It's still a knife. Software tools can be misidentified by scanners just as easily. You need to do your homework on what the tool is and how to use it. Then when you see it reported know why and understand that the scanner did their job. But you also know it's okay to still download and use the tool properly.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 mazdarx5

mazdarx5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

I like the analogy. So true:-)

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

Hello -
Please start with Antivirus, Antimalware, And Antispyware Resources by Grinler
Scroll down to item 5. Free Virus Scanners -
At the moment I would not list AVG as one of the better programs, as there seems to be minor problems with the current version, but any others seem to be working quite well - Note that this may change soon -
The topic also lists other options for mainly free Antimalware and other Add-on programs that work very well.
There are also good guides listed at Answers to common security questions - Best Practices by quietman7 for you to read -

Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users