Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing iexplore.exe with custom browser executable

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 access2godzila

access2godzila

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:52 AM

Since IE cannot be completely uninstalled without running risk of bricking some of Windows core functions, I decided to replace the iexplore.exe executable with a build of the links browser that I built myself from source. (I do have Firefox installed and set as the default browser.)

I tried to do this in the following steps:

1. In %systemroot%\system32\dllcache, rename iexplore.exe to _iexplore.exe

2. In C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer, rename iexplore.exe to _iexplore.exe

3. Let SFC cry about how IE is essential for the system (so that it can load up the latest 0 days?)

4. Copy links.exe (that I built myself) to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer as links.exe

5. Run dialog > iexplore

Links does not load up, as should have been the expected result.

Can anyone help me in this? I have been scratching my head and searching only yielded one thread at Mozillazine that's really old and one of the required software is not available.

BTW, if anyone needed the builds, here are the links:

http://www.4shared.com/archive/jCwv4FJk/linksbuild.html

VT[0/45]:https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/363e8f274576b39b7b58c318816c8234254431403481e767cb79cca16d50edfa/analysis/

Edited by hamluis, 18 March 2013 - 04:11 PM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users