Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Filling Up C Drive?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cassis

cassis

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

Last night I received notifications from my computer that indicated my C drive was full. I thought it was strange, because there was no way I could've used up the 100+GB I had left on it. I went ahead and deleted some games, leaving me with at least 40GB and thought it would take care of the problem. This morning, my C drive was full again, and I could barely delete items in time to download and install Malwarebytes. My HHD is partitioned into two sectors, C and D, with 465GB for each. Only the C partition seems to be infected. 

I use AVG for general anti-virus problems, but I'm guessing it didn't catch whatever's causing the problem this time. This only recently became an issue in the last few days, and I haven't downloaded anything sketchy in that time (to my knowledge). I'm the only one with access to this desktop. 

Current computer specs:

Running on Windows 7 Ultimate

Service Pack 1

Processor: AMD Phenom™ 9850 Quad-Core Processor (2.50 GHz)

Installed memory (RAM): 6.00GB

System type: 64-bit Operating System

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

Download Windirstat from here

http://windirstat.info/download.html

Install and launch it

Expand your C drive and see which folder or file consumes space.

#3 cassis

cassis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:38 PM

I'll try to free up some space and do that. Meanwhile, I noticed an abnormality with my Users folder. The data size reported for each folder keeps jumping around, flipping from 0 bytes to about 86GB. I know I definitely do not have that much data saved there.

edit: Since I've been running Malwarebytes (scanning still in progress), 8GB of my C drive has freed up and I haven't deleted anything. Any ideas?

Edited by cassis, 17 March 2013 - 10:39 PM.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

Finish malwarebytes scan.Do not run any more scans

Start analyzing the windirstat output.If USERS folder consume more space,expand it and check its sub folders.You will find the exact folder or file that is consuming space.

Edited by narenxp, 17 March 2013 - 10:48 PM.

#5 cassis

cassis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

After giving WinDirStat some time to analyze, this is what I found:

report1_zpsa695e1c6.png

cputime.xml takes up the majority of the space on my HDD (176.3GB). For some reason, Users has dipped from 86GB to only using about 20GB which is about right. Other folders take up some space that I wasn't expecting so I thought it best to post them for you to check out anyway.

report2_zps71e28e98.png

It goes on and on to include these seemingly insignificant files that take up 20GB+ of space altogether. WinDirStat freezes for a few minutes from the sheer amount of these small files when I expand and collapse the folder. Malwarebytes has been running for 1 hour and 30 mins, and I'll post the results when it's done.

Edit: my C drive now has 70.7GB free without me having deleted anything.

Edited by cassis, 17 March 2013 - 11:28 PM.

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

Winsxs folder is valid folder.We have found the culprit.cputime.xml from PC tools is taking up maximum space.This is a known bug with feature called SSD monitor in PC tools.Try reinstalling PC tools or get rid of it.You can opt for other antiviruses like Avast if you are going to remove PC tools.

#7 cassis

cassis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

That's a relief to know it's just a bug. Thank you so much for your help, narenxp.

A+ to bleepingcomputer

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:07 AM

:welcome:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users