Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Linux?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 omec

omec

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

Hello, I'll try and keep this simple. I installed Fedora 18, on an old Dell Inspiron 8600, bought it in 1999. Any way, it doesn't seem to work well with that laptop. I am not sure if Linux Puppy is the right choice, because if it only boots from RAM, how will it use the rest of the 60GB drive?

Beings I don't have access to a DVD burner, and I don't have a blank thumb drive at the moment, so If I download 'Linux Mint' to the Fedora desk top, will I beable to run the install from there?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ash004

ash004

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

If its your first time you are using Linux , I advise you Mint 14 32 bit, its easy to install stability at 100% and full support any help Post here :)

for Installation, configuration and the rest 

#3 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

you will have to boot from media in order to install the software to the drive. If you don't have a means of creating a bootable .iso many distros provide an option for ordering the media for a non profit fee. Look on distrowatch.com for a list of linux and solaris distros that interest you. After you find one that appeals, visit the developer's site and see if they have an option for mailing you a hard copy.

In the mean time, you can always instal a virtual box and run the .iso from there to try it out so you aren't ordering one that doesn't interest you.

good luck!

#4 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

. . . . not sure if Linux Puppy is the right choice . . .

. . . . I don't have access to a DVD burner . . . .

Omec,

Do you have a CD-RW drive?  You can download live cd's that will install a basic system.  Once installed, they can generally obtain updates and addtional software through the internet.

Wary Puppy is a "Live" cd, that works well with older limited hardware.  The most common problem I found with it was video drivers.  It can be stubborn if you have to load the VESA driver.  You may be limited to a 1024x768 screen.  It should run well enough on your notebook.

You may also want to try Knoppix.  It seems to have better hardware detection than Puppy.  I have loaded Knoppix 7 on older HP Compaq and Dell desktops, and most of the owners have been happy with it. (The one that wasn't was complaining that "It's not Windows 7".  I put his original ME back on the drive for him!)

The Knoppix ISO is just shy of 700MB and will fit on a blank CD. 

Cheers!

Naught

#5 omec

omec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for the info people, I'll be giving this stuff a try later on probably. I've been busy trying to  get a new DAW running on one of other computers, so that's been a learning process all it's own. lol. I'm thinking the Knoppix sounds like it may be a winner, it never hurts to try anyway.

Thanks for your time and suggestions people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users