Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista "Not Responding" (Freezes)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DannoMyte1

DannoMyte1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

My Vista recently began to say "Not Responding" several times every day ... I'm often actually sometimes still able to work in a different screen while getting "Not Responding" msg elsewhere - strange???  I am NOT a tech guy so Googled for possibilities ...

Here's what I've done:

(1)had two anti-malware/anti-virus programs running simultaneously (MalwareBytes and BitDefender) so got rid of one (note: have no problems having both running on my Windows 8 desktop)

(2) did the "sfc/scannow" process and apparently there WAS some problem but it wasn't fully resolved

(3) read lots of useless crap at the Microsoft Forums and was directed here

Any help much appreciated.  Please be VERY PRECISE with answers/suggestions and assume I know nothing.  Thanx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

Please elaborate on the results of your attempt to run sfc /scannow.

Have you checked the system for possible overheating?

How much free space...and how large is the total partition...for Windows?

Louis

#3 DannoMyte1

DannoMyte1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

Re:  "scannow" results ... a msg popped up saying not all of the issues could be resolved ... however, (lacking sensibility) it did not tell me what was and was not done ... surely this info is all hidden "behind the scenes" in some computer lingo I'd never understand.  If advisable (or if problems continue) I could re-run the "scannow" and watch more closely to see what msg comes up.

Overheating:  It is HIGHLY unlikely this is an issue.  I don't leave the laptop on for countless hours (or days, as I do with the desktop).  Also, I have a very nice ThermalTake cooling system that is always on.

Space:  Just saw that I have 123 GB free of 403 total size so that's not likely the issue either.  Even this will soon be reduced since I KNOW I have duplicates from when my system crashed and I was content to recover anything I could (even if it ended up saved in more than one location - I'm currently cleaning this up and just this week also set up Skydrive Cloud, which is crucial for me since I use 3 different computers in two countries (my time is split between Canada and US).

The good news???  After removing MalwareBytes from the laptop a couple days ago I think I've only had the "Not Responding" happen ONCE ... ideally not happening at all is preferred, but I can live with once in a while.

Any assistance whatsoever is much appreciated.  I've got FAR bigger things to need to deal with than computer issues.

#4 DannoMyte1

DannoMyte1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

Partition:   I forgot to address that ... I have ZERO idea how to know about this ... I do recall after my system crash and computer rebuild in Dec 2011 that the MicroSoft guys created partitions for me ... So, I know I have them (meaning the memory in the hard drive is split into two, right?), but that's the extent of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users