Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Some Help...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Piff

Piff

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 04:24 PM

Hey, guys. I recently bought and installed some memory modules. Everything went smooth unitil I booted up the PC. It ran, but the moniter says that there's no input signal... I've plugged everything in. The only other thing I did was clear out some dust.

I'm new to this and I know I shouldn't have touched it. Thought it was simple enough. -_-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 04:52 PM

Hey, guys. I recently bought and installed some memory modules. Everything went smooth unitil I booted up the PC. It ran, but the moniter says that there's no input signal... I've plugged everything in. The only other thing I did was clear out some dust.

I'm new to this and I know I shouldn't have touched it. Thought it was simple enough. -_-

WRONG. You should have tackled this little project. First thing is to make sure none of the card became loose. With even pressure push down on the front and back of each PCI/AGP card installed. Note if they move even alittle. Next remove and reinstall the memory modules. Make sure the notches match the the keyway of the memory slot. While it is rare some (including myself) have forced the memory modules in backwards.
Thats a start.

Edited by acklan, 04 April 2006 - 04:52 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Piff

Piff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:08 PM

All modules are in snug. I removed them all and only put in the my old ones to see if the others just aren't compatable. It still doesn't work. I have them facing the way they were before I touched them. Does this mean I screwed something up while blowing out the dust? I used Inert Dusting Gas and I sprayed a good distance away.

#4 Piff

Piff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:17 PM

Hmm... I got it to boot up with my old modules. Atleast that's something. I'll keep playing with the new ones and see if they take. I'll be back with an update. Thanks for your reply, Acklan.

Edit: I got one of the new modules to work. I have 4x 256MB in there, but only 768MB of it is working. One of them is out of place. Problem is my video card is in the way of two slots. So it makes it tough to install those... But there's no doubt that I'll screw things up even more if I attempt to remove the video card. I'll keep at it. >_O

Edited by Piff, 04 April 2006 - 05:46 PM.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:57 PM

Put the last memory stick you have not as yet installed in place of one that you know is working.

Boot the computer.

If you still have 768mbs of RAM you now know all the sticks work.

Shutdown the computer.

If there is a pci card in the way, remove it carefully, insert the ram stick making sure the latches on the ends of all the sticks of RAM click so the memory sticks are tightly in and replace the pci card you removed in the same pci slot it was in (otherwise you will have to go through a reinstall process to reinstall whatever the card is for. If it is an AGP video card it will only fit in the AGP slot but be careful and only exert pressure directly downward on the RAM and on the card).

If you are now successful you should show all 4 sticks of ram show up in the countup.

Edited by Enthusiast, 04 April 2006 - 05:59 PM.

#6 Piff

Piff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:49 PM

Finally got it! Moving my video card did the trick. Thanks for all your help.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:01 PM

Good deal. You can do all of your upgrades. You need to clean the inside of your computer once a year, twice if you have pets or live in a dusty enviorment.
What are the specifications of your computer?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:08 PM

And, seeing that you got the RAM installed successfully you are now qualified to assemble your own computer when you want to upgrade.

It is really not any harder as long as you follow the directions that come with the motherboard and have the ability to come here if you run into anything you need help with.

Edited by Enthusiast, 04 April 2006 - 09:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users