Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SuperAntiSpyware has detected 41 security.hijack imagefile execution entries

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ulysees

Ulysees

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

IS THIS A 'FALSE POSITIVE' AND THEREFORE SAFE OR IS IT DANGEROUS?

Identified as a potentially unwanted program (pup) and rated threat level 5/10 by SuperAntiSpyware - who are still invesigating whether this is harmful - I have read internet postings which suggest that: 

the pup may have arisen from running AVG PC Tune Up - which I did indeed use before running a scan - and 

removing these entries caused problems with some computers. 

Last time I scanned my computer there were 27 entries, today the number has grown to 41. 

Free versions of AVG2013, Spybot 1.6.2 and Malwarebytes have not detected this as a pup. 

What is "security.hijack imagefile execution"? 

Has anyone found this on their computer? 

If so what action did you take, and were there any problems with your PC after removing it?

Edited by Ulysees, 17 March 2013 - 03:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ulysees

Ulysees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

UPDATE: What a difference one week makes

When I ran SuperAntiSpyware today it did not identify any security.hijack entries, so I am guessing they have determined this is not a virus or malware and does not pose a risk.

IS THIS A 'FALSE POSITIVE' AND THEREFORE SAFE OR IS IT DANGEROUS?

Identified as a potentially unwanted program (pup) and rated threat level 5/10 by SuperAntiSpyware - who are still invesigating whether this is harmful - I have read internet postings which suggest that: 

the pup may have arisen from running AVG PC Tune Up - which I did indeed use before running a scan - and 

removing these entries caused problems with some computers. 

Last time I scanned my computer there were 27 entries, today the number has grown to 41. 

Free versions of AVG2013, Spybot 1.6.2 and Malwarebytes have not detected this as a pup. 

What is "security.hijack imagefile execution"? 

Has anyone found this on their computer? 

If so what action did you take, and were there any problems with your PC after removing it?

Edited by Ulysees, 23 March 2013 - 11:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users