Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast uninstalls during installation

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

I'm posting here because I think it would end up moved here after my explanation... maybe.

I'm working on a laptop that had some worms and such on it.  I could not get Avast to install.  At the end of the install process it said it was uninstalling and then says it failed, and give a log.  I don't understand it well enough to say I can use it to figure out what's going on.  :/

Anyway...  this is an XP machine.  It is fully up to date with SP3 on it. 
I have run malwarebytes, even the FULL scan, and it no longer finds anything.  There WAS a stubborn worm on there... kept hogging the CPU, kept renaming itself... even found its way onto my flash drive at one point(fortunately the next computer I put it in was completely protected and found and removed it from my flash drive...
After looking at a few topics here I decided to try the ESET online scanner.  It found and removed some things.  I'll post a log file from that, it's not long.
Since then, the worm seems to be gone.  Further ESET scans find nothing...  no odd programs running in the task manager OR startup. 
I have tried installing in safe mode (which is frustrating to try since F8 doesn't seem to be the method of getting into safemode on this thing) (gateway mx 6424)

I've tried disabling non-essential services and ALL startup programs... still, no joy.
Every time I try to install Avast it gets to the end and then simply uninstalls. 
I considered posting this in the antivirus section and the xp section but I have this feeling that wherever I post it, someone will suggest that either the laptop is still infected OR damage from past infections may be causing the issue.  I'm not sure, but I figured I'd start here.  Please move it if you find it belongs somewhere else.

I'm just not sure what to try next.  I tried to install hijack this to see if I could find anything there that didn't belong still...  but, that wont install either.  :/

Here's the log from the ESET scan.  Let me know if there's anything else I should look at or try.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.jason\autorun.inf	INF/Autorun worm	cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.jason\piodoox.exe	Win32/AutoRun.VB.LR worm	cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.jason\tiouqix.exe	Win32/AutoRun.VB.LR worm	cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.jason\xuviz.exe	Win32/AutoRun.VB.LR worm	cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.jason\xuviz.scr	Win32/AutoRun.VB.LR worm	cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.jason\My Documents\Downloads\DeerHunter2005_Setup-dm.exe	a variant of Win32/Adware.Trymedia.A application	cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.jason\My Documents\Downloads\fruit-ninja.exe	a variant of Win32/InstallCore.AT application	cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.jason\My Documents\Downloads\GraboidVideoSetup-3.05-Complete.exe	Win32/Graboid application	cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.jason\My Documents\Downloads\hu2008_setup-dm.exe	a variant of Win32/Adware.Trymedia.A application	cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.jason\My Documents\Downloads\iLividSetupV1.exe	Win32/Toolbar.SearchSuite application	cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.jason\My Documents\Downloads\vidcodec.7263.exe	a variant of Win32/TrojanDownloader.Autoit.NJU trojan	cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-3479630617-3397896811-3627833190-1006\Dc1.exe	Win32/Graboid application	cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-3479630617-3397896811-3627833190-1006\Dc11.exe	Win32/Graboid application	cleaned by deleting - quarantined

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Please post the Avast log here

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

Ok, thanks.  It's a LONG log...
hmm... it actually told me that the post was too long. ha.
Here's a link.     https://www.box.com/s/x9poqpi5xw71bkht9976

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

Uninstall all previous versions of Microsoft Visual C++ 2008/2010 Redistributable (vcredist_x86.exe) from add or remove programs

Uninstall Avast using Avast uninstaller

Install windows updates and then install Avast.

#5 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Avast never fully installed, there's a folder for it in the programs section but it's empty.  There's nothing to uninstall.

And visual c++ isn't listed in add/remove programs.
So, I went to start/search and typed in "vcredist" and it found one file in documents\downloads  and two different .pf files in windows\prefetch

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

I was referring to Avast uninstaller utility

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

If it doesnt detect any traces,go ahead and finish installing windows updates

Restart the PC and try to install Avast.

#7 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

I'm a little confused about the c++ thing.  I found no way to uninstall it.  Is that something I still need to do?  There are no windows updates for me to install at the moment.

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

You can ignore C++ step if you dont find one.I still confused how you dont have any updates related to visual C++

Install both these updates

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=29

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=5555

Restart the PC and try to install Avast.

#9 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

2008:
"windows installer service could not be accessed. Contact your support personnel to verify that the windows installer service is properly registered..."

after an attempt on 2010 I got a similar response along with a short log...  (I'm guessing this might have something to do with why there's no c++ updates on it...)

Edit: I located the installer service and tried to start it up. It started and then stopped.  I also tried switching it from manual to automatic.  Still no luck.

OS Version = 5.1.2600, Platform 2, Service Pack 3
OS Description = WinXP - x86 Professional Service Pack 3
CommandLine = c:\91df3f1bc9c287f53af5\Setup.exe
Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
Operation: Installing
Package Name = Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable Setup
Package Version = 10.0.30319
User Experience Data Collection Policy: UserControlled
Number of applicable items: 3
MSI (c:\91df3f1bc9c287f53af5\vc_red.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable Setup_20130317_115115406-MSI_vc_red.msi.txt
Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070641), "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:41).

Edited by millipede, 17 March 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#10 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

Follow the steps here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346#method2

Use method 2

Restart the PC and then try to install

#11 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

Ha... I started typing a message saying that I tried all that and it didn't work... found some updates, they wouldn't take, etc...
But, then I remembered that I followed all of the directions up to the point of restarting.   I forgot to go back and actually install the installer.  oops.
I did... and, it worked.  both c++ distributions went in... and then, avast succeeded

So far, it looks okay.  One of the 5 updates didn't take... some outlook update but I'm not worried about that at the moment..  Avast is installed, registered, updated, and now running a quick scan.  Yay.

Thanks so much for the help with this.

#12 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

:welcome:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users