Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I know the Title says Windows 8 Boot Error (Please bear with me) :)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 m4dm4x

m4dm4x

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:10 AM

Hello to Everyone Here...!

I purchased a new computer (Sony Vaio E -Seiries), It came with Windows 8 pre-installed, I had used Ubuntu on my old laptop so i wanted to dual boot (as i prefer a linux O.S, but my GF uses windows) other wise i would've just wiped it completley and installed Ubuntu.

I used a old Ubuntu Boot Cd i'd had lieing around. The Live cd was corrupted or damamged (it was old, i had to hunt it down) .

It started up fine but when i chose the option to install them side by side when installing the dual-boot this is when the problems started. It crashed about 89% through it's install process.

I removed the disc and tried to boot into windows, I was getting errors (Boot Manager) (I think, ubuntu created a grub menu).

I'm using Ubuntu now as i installed 12.10 onto a usb with unetbootin.

I still have all the partitions with the ( WINDOWS RE), (SONYSYS), (RECOVERY) files inside them.

I've tried using a Win 7 Boot cd to repair the system. I've tried using the built in repair option the (ASSIST) button on Sony Vaio.

I know i should have burned a back up disc (as pc world never gave me any windows discs and wanted £60+ for 1 month incase anything went wrong with Windows software.. Great customer service guys after just spending £700 on a laptop).

Is there anyway i can use Ubuntu to burn a recovery disc ?

When i turn on the computer the Grub Menu gives me the option to boot into Windows 8 or Ubuntu, i get errors when i try Windows (Error codes are like 0x000008 or similar).

If the correct codes are usefull i will note them down ( i did have them written down somewhere as i was googling the error codes but i couldn't find a solution).

The error also says Boot Manager " /Boot/Bci, Missing.  Need Installation cd to repair"

(sorry it's early morning here 08:00 i been at work all night), (i will edit properly when my eyes are not fighting meto shut)

I was thinking of saving thesr partitioned Recovery tools onto a thumbdrive, Then installing Win 7 over the Win 8 partition.

Surley i'm missing something simple.

If anyone can help please ask for more percific information on the errors i'm getting.

I could probably go into the Win /Boot-Manager somehow but i haven't got the skills to know what i was doing..

thanks..

And i appologise for the grammer..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m4dm4x

m4dm4x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:40 AM

How do i edit my original post..?

Should this be in the windows section ?  

If so, could a admin please move it.

I've tried using the installation disc (win 8) that i borrowed from a friend and "repair computer" option doesn't work.

Maybe this will  help

http://paste.ubuntu.com/5624763/

Edited by m4dm4x, 18 March 2013 - 04:36 AM.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

Using an older version of Ubuntu on a Windows 8 computer may be the cause of your problem.

Ubuntu 12.04.2 (LTS) and Ubuntu 12.10 are compatible with systems
using UEFI firmware with Secure Boot enabled.

Linux Compatibility With Secure Boot....Now! - BleepingComputer.com

Suggest you reinstall using one of those Ubuntu distros.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 m4dm4x

m4dm4x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:40 AM

Using an older version of Ubuntu on a Windows 8 computer may be the cause of your problem.

Ubuntu 12.04.2 (LTS) and Ubuntu 12.10 are compatible with systems
using UEFI firmware with Secure Boot enabled.

Linux Compatibility With Secure Boot....Now! - BleepingComputer.com

Suggest you reinstall using one of those Ubuntu distros.

Your not understanding me. i formatted the partition where the (failed) 9.10 created a grub boot menu. Then i reinstalled 12.10 using a usb drive.

Even if i remove the Ubuntu 12.10 partition Windows 8 will not boot up.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

You said in your first post....I'm using Ubuntu now as i installed 12.10 onto a usb with unetbootin.

From that I did not take it that you installed 12.10 on the hdd.

You can create a System Repair Disc on another Windows 8 computer to use to 

boot your computer and then restore your computer as it came from the factory.

See how to do that in link below.

System Repair Disc - Create in Windows 8

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:34 AM

I had some similar experiences, what I'm about to suggest is risky....I recommend doing a sector by sector hard drive backup before attempting...please note even if my guide works you may no longer be able to use your recovery partition. This is a last resort move! So try other peoples suggestions first.

Step 1:

Download Windows 8 Enterprise Trial (Registration is required, so have your info handy :P):

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/hh699156.aspx

Step 2:

Download Virtual Box for Ubuntu since you can currently boot Ubuntu you said

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Step 3:

Create a virtual machine using virtual box and install windows 8 enterprise into it

Step 4:

Download WADK For Windows 8:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30652

Step 5:

Install WADK into the Windows 8 Virtual Machine and use it to create a windows pe iso file (you will be using DISM not IMAGEX)

Step 6:

Boot your new windows pe disc on the host system, use it to create a backup of your Windows OS partition (I hope you like terminal commands :P)

Step 7:

Boot your windows 8 enterprise disc on the host and try using it to repair your startup (if that works then your are done but I doubt it will, if not proceed to next step)

Step 8:

From ubuntu re-format (DO NOT DELETE THE PARTITION, JUST RE-APPLY A FILESYSTEM TO IT) your OS partition and your fat-32 EFI parition (SAME AS WITH OS PARITION!)

Step 9:

I'm not sure if you can do this in ubuntu disk manager? you may need to install gparted to do it. You need to flag you fat-32 EFI partition as boot (it may already be flagged)

Step 10:

Install the windows 8 enterprise to your Os parition (Make sure it's installing there, don't let it erase your entire drive!)

Step 11:

Using ubuntu re-format your OS parition (DO NOT DELETE , JUST RE-APPLY THE SAME FILESYSTEM TO IT)

Step 12:

Deploy your .wim windows OS parition backup you made using your windows pe disc (DISM), onto your OS parition

Step 13:

Reboot, windows should now be accessable (your recovery partions may no longer be accessable, i cannot confirm this)

Make sure during this entire process that in your U-EFI(BIOS) you are running in UEFI mode and not CPM(Legacy Mode).

If you want to use Ubuntu side by side with windows 8 you need a 13.04 (or you can hobble with 12.10)

Signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users