Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can a cable modem itself have a virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cujo_77

cujo_77

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

I wanted to know if a virus can actually reside in a cable modem and infect a PC. I work in a law office and we keep a few computers off the network for security issues. The situation is I just reformatted a PC, re-installed the OS (Windows XP) and I am about to hook it to the internet to download all the needed updates. Like most small offices we have a cable modem connected to a wifi router that most people in the office use for tablets, cell phones, etc. All these things are personal items and have the ability of contracting virus because of all the internet browsing they do at home, coffee shops, etc. What I figured I would do is disconnect the modem from the router and then hook it directly to the PC then download the updates. I planned on rebooting the modem so nothing is stuck in its memory, but I just wanted to know if I went ahead with the plan above is there any risks of a virus being passed onto the PC that I am updating?

P.S. I have the standard Motorola "Surfboard" cable modem SB5101U

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

Connecting the computer directly to the internet with out a firewall or Using NAT is not any better then what could be lurking on your network. If the computers are not connected to the internet for security reasons dont connect them. You can use WSUS Offline updater to download all the Microsoft Updates you may need. You can also download most Antivirus and security software updates manually from the manufactures website. If You installed Windows XP without service pack 3 Microsoft updates may not run correcty untill you update to SP3.  REMEMBER After April 8, 2014 Microsoft stops Extended support for XP.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

You also have a reply to your topic about the same thing at Major Geeks http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1809938

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

:thumbup2: Thanks Queen Evie! They beat me to it. If the computers you restored are using A Raid setup you should use a secure erase utility such as Dban to Secure Erase the HDD before reusing them. Left over Metadata from a Deleted partition without proper reformatting can lead to more problems in the very near future. 

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users