Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer suddenly stopped detecting lan connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bo0ga

bo0ga

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

I have a wired lan connection directly from my ASUS router to my desktop computer. The connection has been fine for months. Last night I shut my desktop and turned it on normally this morning. It is no longer detecting the wired connection. No one in the house touched the router, wire, or computer at any point. The only way I can get internet is if I enable wireless. But being that the router is upstairs, the speed is slow.

I plugged the same wire into my laptop, and my laptop is detecting it fine. So now I know it's not a router or wire issue, it's my desktop. I don't understand why it would stop working out of no where. Any idea what to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

Hi -

Please open Internet Explorer > Click Tools along the top (if you do not see it, press the ALT key) > Go Internet Options > Connections > LAN settings > Make sure the only box ticked is Automatically Detect Settings > Click OK > OK

See if there is a connection now -

Thank You -

#3 bo0ga

bo0ga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

Ok I did that and nothing happened. It is still not detecting the connection.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

OK - Last guess from me -

Go - Start > Right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager -

Look for any ( ! or ? ) marks beside anything related to internet or other items.

Thank You -

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

If the LAN is reflected in Device Manager...uninstall the driver and reboot.]

If there is no LAN or device requiring a driver install...your LAN chip may be dead.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users