Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clear out c:/windows/temp ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

Hey I recently ran a virus scan, it took over an hour mostly scanning temp files I cleared some using the disk cleanup but when I went to check it from the file explorer it's self I found its takening up 36 gbs I want to know how to clear it out safely without causing a problem.

Also I should add that the scanner was hitman pro and its usually lightning fast.

Edited by firemaster1337, 16 March 2013 - 06:47 PM.

Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop.
(TFC only cleans temp folders. It will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies).
Close any open windows.
  • Double click the TFC icon to run the program
  • TFC will close all open programs itself in order to run,
  • Click the Start button to begin the process.
  • Allow TFC to run uninterrupted.
  • The program should not take long to finish it's job.
  • Once its finished it should automatically reboot your machine, if it doesn't, manually reboot to ensure a complete clean

NOTE:
    It's normal after running TFC that the PC will be slower to boot the first time.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:21 AM

Can't you also just go to that folder and delete the temp files?  But, I have found that some of them won't let you delete it.

#4 Allen

Allen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

@hawkeye while that could work, it could also be dangerous.

Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Nah..you can manually clean the contents of c:\Windows\temp

#6 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:58 AM

Thought so, but was questioning myself when he posted that.  LOL

Nah..you can manually clean the contents of c:\Windows\temp

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:43 AM

Why do both TFC and CCleaner leave files in the Temp folders after they run?

Both have left quite a few files in the windows/temp folder and the c/temp folders as well as files in the c/users temp folders

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users