Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus, Malware, etc _ Comparison_Mac vs Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rekhillbill

Rekhillbill

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

Hello,

Does anyone have an opinion on the venerability of a Mac OS compared to a Window 7?

I am new to the forum & to BleepingComputer.com.

I just had to do a Factory Recover on my wife's Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 because of two rootkit infections; Alureon & Pihar.c.

I wonder if a Mac is a "bit" less susceptible to being infected?

Thanks for any feedback!

Best,

Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

To be honest, this basically gets into a debate/argument that will likely never be settled.  I am not sure it is really ever possible to know which OS is technically more secure (just too many variables and in the end it will ultimately come down to a "decision" that is heavily influence/dictated by opinion).

Now, the thing that is known is that AT THE MOMENT there are far fewer "exploits" (malware/viruses/trojan horses/etc) out in the "wild" for the Mac OS then they are for Windows.

This does NOT mean that the Mac OS is necessarily more secure than Windows.  To a large degree, since there are fair fewer Macs out in the world than Windows machines, makers of malware, etc don't get as much potentially "bang for their buck" by targeting Macs as opposed to targeting Windows.  Thus, many such folks likely deliberately choose to target Windows because of that.  And we cannot really know how much that drives things as opposed to how secure one OS is relative to another.

At the end of the day, the reality is that AT THE MOMENT malware/virus/trojan horses/etc are less of concern on a Mac than on a Windows machine.  In other words, you are much less likely to get infected on a Mac than on a Windows machine.

This does not mean that you should not "be protected" on a Mac.  I have long run anti-malware/virus software on all my Macs, while many Mac folks said it was not needed.  I treat my Macs much like I treat my Windows machines in this sense.

At the end of the day, you need be just as careful on a Mac as your are on a Windows computer even if you are less likely to get infected.  No matter the OS, you should practice "safe computing" (i.e. don't click unknown links in email message from unknown sources, etc).

#3 Rekhillbill

Rekhillbill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Thanks,

I really appreciate the "frank" response.  I have never owned a Mac...been around 66 + years, so maybe its time?

I do recall operating the first Mac that came on the market!

Best,

Bill

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:00 AM

#5 Protech_solutions

Protech_solutions

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Being an IT person, I work with many computers all the time and honestly, like smax said, this debate may never be settled but I can tell you that 90% of major problems are always windows. Hard drives crashing, viruses, spyware etc. Mac problems are minimal and they have great customer support for those who use them for home computers and don't have an IT guy that can help. In fact I use a mac at home myself! 

#6 Rekhillbill

Rekhillbill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

Protech_solutions,

Is it possible to create a partition on my Toshiba running Windows 7 and use it to run a Mac OS?

#7 seedy21

seedy21

• Malware Response Team
  • 742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:36 AM

The Answer to that is No. Apple Licences don’t cover installing Mac OSX on Non Apple Computers.

If you read the the Post I have made in your other Topic you may find a different solution.

Seedy21

“It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.”
― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

unite_blue.png

#8 barpanda

barpanda

• Banned Spammer
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

Mac is much safer than windows and this is an open secret.

#9 Rekhillbill

Rekhillbill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:31 AM

barpanda

Was running Windows Security Essentials when I "contracted" the two root kit infections in Windows 7...!

Can't afford a new computer, so installed Ubuntu 12.10 in a dual boot with Windows 7, reference post in Linux Forum.

If / when I buy another comuter, I"ll definitely buy a Mac!

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users