Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

detecting primary master......none

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jgperry

jgperry

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

I was getting this occasionally, but now it's been 4 times last night and today upon start up or re-start. It says to go to the power setup menu for details - I went to the power set up menu, but if there were details, I didn't understand them. I can't let my computer crash - I don't have another!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

What exactly was this message?

What is the make and model of this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jgperry

jgperry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

Hard drive error. enter Power set-up for details. Sony Vaio PCV RX650

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Is this the message you are receiving?

Hardware monitor found an error. Enter Power setup menu for details.

Is the fan running after pressing the power button?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jgperry

jgperry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

Is this the message you are receiving?

Hardware monitor found an error. Enter Power setup menu for details.

Is the fan running after pressing the power button?

Yes, and on the fan yes I hear it. It said CPU fan speed 3770 RPM and power fan speed 1929 RPM (about - the values were varying a bit)

Temp was 101 F for CPU and 79 F for MB

I ran disk ck on C and this did not resolve the problem.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

Open the case and look at the fan and heat sink assembly on the CPU, is it full of dust?

#7 jgperry

jgperry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

Open the case and look at the fan and heat sink assembly on the CPU, is it full of dust?

nope.

#8 jgperry

jgperry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

The power fan speed was red, but went not-red after it sped up from about 1785 RPM to 1950 RPM

#9 jgperry

jgperry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

When I start my computer I get a message: hardrive monitor detected an error (something like that) enter power set-up menu for details.

I have not tracked down that problem yet - it was suggested to check out the fan first.

My other concern is it saying it does not detect a primary master.....but if I continue on it does boot (for now)

panic time! what does this mean?

#10 Agglomerate

Agglomerate

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

My only suggestion would be to pop the CMOS battery for 30 seconds, and replace, then set all BIOS settings back to defaults or the current settings, other than this I can't assist.

Edited by Agglomerate, 16 March 2013 - 04:55 PM.

#11 jgperry

jgperry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

ok - turns out I don't know if the fan is dirty. It's the power supply fan that is showing in red.....turning slowly.....am I correct the likely problems are dirt or a failing psu?

Thinking of spending $20 for Best Buy to clean it....I have 30 minutes to decide - I hope someone answers!

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,390 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

Well...cleaning the PSU with canned air...will probably be just as effective as paying someone $$ to do it for you.

If cleaning doesn't improve the situation, then you might consider just replacing the PSU.  PSUs do fail and, next to hard drives, are probably the system component replaced most frequently (IMO).

<<I get a message: hardrive monitor detected an error (something like that)...>>

Please...understand...error messages are the best that the system can do to inform users/owners of known/perceived problems.  The specifics of each error message...are important, if only because they help to eliminate wild guiessing on what the problem might be.

Others here can provide you with suggestions and guidance for testing your PSU...that don't cost anything other than a little of your time.  I think that i would pay attention to those...before drifing into wishing and hoping that Best Buy can solve it.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users