Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Slow Wireless Internet Connection, Why?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ricicle86

ricicle86

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:12 PM

Computer Spec:

AMD Sempron 2600+, 1.6GHz, 512MB of RAM.
Windows XP Home Editition (2002 version) with SP2 and all updates via Microsoft!

Wireless Components:

etec Wireless router
IEEE 802.11g Wireless Network PCI (card)

2.2Mbps Broadband, transfers via network at 54.0 Mbps

Hi all,

This is my first post for a long time, the last time i posted you were all very helpful... so here goes!

I have two desktops (identical to the above spec) and a laptop running on a small home wireless network. However, the internet connection is slow on mine. The desktop mentioned above.

I think the others are ok!

My bro uses the other desktop to download NBA games and Movies and songs via Bearshare and iTunes and Bitcomet, not sure if this affects it?

Basically, my computer takes ages to open pages and load. sometimes it is ok , but others it really gets on my nerves. Surely it shouldn't be like this?

My friend told me to pull out the power cord from the router and wait 10 secs then put it back in, but i now have to do this all the time!!!

Can the router get infected with any spyware etc?

Not sure what is causing this, but its really frustrating!

Any ideas?

If you need more info let me know! Cheers all in advanced!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 04:10 PM

Are you receiving your full 54 Mb/s and how far are you from the acess point or router compared to your brother?

*Mods* Might want to get this posted moved to the networking forum.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:21 PM

What they are telling you to do is reboot the router, but that alone is probably not sufficient.

With all computers on the network powered off, unplug the cable/dsl modem from its power source and the cable or phone line and then disconnect the power to the router.

After about one minute reconnect the modem to its cable or telephone connection and then to its power source. Plug the router back in and then boot your computer.

If your brother is downloading large files it will slow the entire connection down since you are sharing the internet connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users