Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Clock Virus?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RumJ0731

RumJ0731

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

My computer started having some trouble when a random square black clock with red hands stuck at 12, appeared on my screen instead of my normal clock.

So far my only problems appear to be Windows media play will no longer work and MacAfee wont respond.

I can click on the icons and my timer circle pops up but there doesn't seem to be a response from the programs.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the programs.  They won't let me do it.  The unstall process freezes when I try.

I am not sure what is happening, any suggestions?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 18 March 2013 - 11:09 AM.
Moved to AII from Vista. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RumJ0731

RumJ0731
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

More info.

I have also downloaded Malware bytes and spybot.  Ran those and deleted any malware that showed up.  My other spyware protector is Webroot Sypware.  still no luck fixing it.

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

Welcome to BP.

If McAfee won't run startup in Safe Mode then see if it will do a full scan of your drive.

Did Malwarebytes find anything serious, can you post the log?

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 RumJ0731

RumJ0731
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for the help Keith,

Sorry I did not respond yesterday, I was tied up with some stuff.  I will try to get you the Malwarebytes log tonight.  It didn't find anything serious though. 

McAfee won't run a full scan in safe mode or on a regular startup.  When I try to open the MacAfee console the Icon for MacAfee (Big box with MacAfee) appears on the screen.  Then nothing happens.  The box will just stay on the screen like it is trying to open.  It won't though.

I was thinking that Webroot spyware could possibly be preventing it from working.  So I was thinking that I might try to turn off webroot to run MacAfee.  I am not sure if that is a good idea though, because maybe Webroot is the only thing keeping my computer safe right now.

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

Well this is only my personal feeling but McAfee uses alot of resources. I've used it for many years in the past but I did particularly like it, I now use Avast free which has its own inbuilt malware for the web and uses less resources. I don't particularly bother about spyware as that isn't a serious thread. I do have Malwarebytes Pro running but only to scan things I've downloaded.

The think is if you have all these extra apps running just in case of then each one uses resources and depending on how much memory you have then things will slow down or stop responding. So do you want a totally safe computer! or a usable one?

This is my opinion.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#6 RumJ0731

RumJ0731
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Here is my Malwarebytes log.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Trial) 1.70.0.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2013.03.05.13

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
Steve :: STEVE-PC [administrator]

Protection: Enabled

3/5/2013 4:40:06 PM
mbam-log-2013-03-05 (16-40-06).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|K:\|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 523812
Time elapsed: 3 hour(s), 34 minute(s), 24 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 1
C:\Users\Bryn\AppData\Local\Temp\Dealio.exe (PUP.Dealio.TB) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)

#7 ripper123

ripper123

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

for alittle info on dealio.exe go here, http://www.exedlldb.com/process-d/dealio-exe.html

#8 RumJ0731

RumJ0731
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

Keithuk,  There is a couple of things since I last posted.  First, my computer is not any better than it was before.

Some things I tried.  I tried uninstalling MacAfee and installing AVASTfree.  MacAfee wouldn't let me completely uninstall the program.  I am not sure why, I followed all the instructions on the website.

I also uninstalled Webroot.

Finally, I did a system restore to a version that I thought was working properly.  Unfortunately that did not help.

I was looking online for possible solutions. There are all these websites that say that I can download a product that will automatically fix my computer.  I would be willing to try one, but I am not sure which one would work.

Do you have any other suggestions for me to try?

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users