Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer will not power up- 3 seconds then dies

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 orapaho

orapaho

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

My parents computer, a Gateway, has Windows xp on it, suddenly stopped powering up.  After pushing power button I hear the normal sounds of start up and 3 seconds later it dies.  Sometimes it will go 8 seconds.  There is no beep from the computer.  My brother in law inspected it and took the RAM out and restarted it and then it finally beeps.  We have another desktop and we are thinking of taking the hard drive from the bad computer and putting in there to see if we can access it.  BTW.. even though I bought them a UPS device, they had it plugged into a conventional strip power surge protector.  Is it time for a new desktop??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Comptech72

Comptech72

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

Sounds like a power supply issue with the computer. If it is a tower; you can replace the power supply with a similar one (same wattage). As far as the hard drive, there are devices that you can connect hard drives to and then connect it to another computer to access the data.

#3 orapaho

orapaho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

my engineer brother-in-law checked the powersupply and found nothing wrong there.  I think he used a volt meter.

#4 Chris Charles007

Chris Charles007

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

Hi,

Have you checked the RAM in another computer. Since your computer beeps, after taking out RAM, there is good chance that RAM may be faulty.

Chris.

Regards,
Chris
tokeepmypcup.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users