Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notebook slowed down over time without any excess CPU usage. Am I infected?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 quasar58

quasar58

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

My notebook slowed down to a crawl over time.

In addition, it sometimes locks accompanied by an increased fan sound (mostly when connected to a wired LAN, but not on a wireless LAN) and requires restarting.

My Vista SP2 system is protected by ESET Nod32 5. I ran a MBAM several times, but did not find any malware.

I clean up my system using CCleaner and monitor resource usage with Sysinternals Process Explorer but could not find  any excess usage most of the time. I also checked my hard disk and found to be "healthy".

I suspect a rootkit or someting similar, but don't know what to do.

Please help me.

Edited by quasar58, 16 March 2013 - 08:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agglomerate

Agglomerate

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

This may be caused by overheating, do you only use this on a flat surface with sufficient ventilation?

#3 quasar58

quasar58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

Yes, I am almost always using it on a flat surface (table). I also checked system temperatures several times, which came out to be in normal ranges.

#4 Agglomerate

Agglomerate

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

Have you tried opening the case and cleaning the hardware inside? I do this regularly on my machines, and it usually boosts the performance by a fair amount.

#5 quasar58

quasar58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

Yes I have done to some extend. But since the CPU fan is not easily accessible even when I opened the case, I tried to blow out dust using canned dry air from outside. But I think, heat is not the primary reason in my case.

I also do regular software maintenance and don't install programs if it is not strictly necessary.

#6 Agglomerate

Agglomerate

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

Do you run the registry tool on CCleaner by any chance?

#7 quasar58

quasar58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

Yes, I use it (portable version) once a month or so. I also keep an eye on startup programs and disable unnecessary ones.

#8 Agglomerate

Agglomerate

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

The registry tool on CCleaner is a dangerous thing to run, as with any registry cleaner, it dosen't fix anything, or improve performance, it worsens it, sometimes making the system unstable / unbootable. Do you have your Windows Installation Disc on hand?

#9 quasar58

quasar58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

I have a disk but don't know if it is the correct one. I think I have a boot partition instead.

I have a Vista 32 bit CD, but in another language (TR). What do you want me to do?

#10 Agglomerate

Agglomerate

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

I was going to attempt to do a 'repair installation' via the disc, that can replace any critical files / registry entries that may be missing. Please PM me for further assistance, as the responses will be generally quicker and I can help to resolve your issue in a timely fashion.

#11 quasar58

quasar58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

Excuse me for my ignorance, but what do you mean by : "PM me" ?

#12 Agglomerate

Agglomerate

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

Do not worry. PM me - Private Message me. I will message you now, check the message icon, top right of the forum in around 2 minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users