Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Free Antivirus & Spy Ware Software

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wagcon

wagcon

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:43 PM

Hello, I finally got my laptop running and up to date. Now I need some advice on which free antivirus and spy ware programs that I can use with windows 98se. I want to connect to the internet mostly with this laptop and I want to make sure it is protected. I know you have a whole section on antivirus stuff but which ones work with windows 98se.

I know that the Microsoft antivirus you cannot use with windows 98se.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated?? :thumbsup:

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:58 PM

Hello,
For a free antiviurs, I would use (and can personally recommend) AVG, available from..
http://www.grisoft.com

As far as I know, this should work on your version of Windows.
For anti-spyware programs, I would suggest trying Ad-aware, available from..
http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
I am certain that this will work on 98se.
Another option is Spybot Search & Destroy, which is available from..
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Spybot_Search_and_Destroy/1043809773/1

I hope this helps,
Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 jchedot

jchedot

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:14 PM

Also take a look here for Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
I finally got it all together, now if I could just remember where I put it.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:26 PM

In addition to Ad-aware and Spybot, I'd suggest (all free):

aČ free - a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap.
Spywareblaster - A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard - A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

Other useful Tutorials:
Using Ad-Aware SE
Using SpywareBlaster
Using SpywareGuard
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users