Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Screen Format Problem!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SVT40

SVT40

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:00 AM

My Windows 8 64 bit professional edition is displayed in not a full screen format but pillar box style with a black border around it,I checked monitor settings and they are not the issue as on startup a graphic is displayed in full screen. This stupid useless pillar box style format is really annoying and I have spent hours trying to fix the issue but nothing I have tried works!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 calden

calden

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

Open search in Charms bar......type Screen and click on Settings.....there you will see many options....try... Change Screen Orientation. 

My Windows 8 64 bit professional edition is displayed in not a full screen format but pillar box style with a black border around it,I checked monitor settings and they are not the issue as on startup a graphic is displayed in full screen. This stupid useless pillar box style format is really annoying and I have spent hours trying to fix the issue but nothing I have tried works!

#3 SVT40

SVT40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

I tried it does not work,anyone else have this problem,this is so frustrating!

Open search in Charms bar......type Screen and click on Settings.....there you will see many options....try... Change Screen Orientation. 

#4 SVT40

SVT40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

This is really weird on 1680x1050 resolution it is properly displaced in full screen,when I switch to 1920x1080 resolution it reverts to the stupid pillar box format with a black border around edges. I know my monitor supports 1920x1080 as I have used and still use it in that resolution on another computer for more than 2 years.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

Have you checked for a new driver?

#6 SVT40

SVT40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

Yes,I have a very powerful gaming pc I recently purchased with 2 graphics cards and I have the latest drivers installed. Is there some sort of code I can enter in command prompt to fix this problem? On 1680x1050 resolution I have full screen as soon as I switch to 1920x1080 it switches to pillar box format as well as some other resolutions,but I really need to use the full resolution as otherwise no point for me to have a powerful pc.

Have you checked for a new driver?

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

What graphics card and model of monitor do you have?

#8 SVT40

SVT40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

I have an AMD based system with AMD FX 8120 with 8 core processor dual graphics cards a AMD Radeon HD 7770 and a AMD Radeon HD 7750 and 16 GB of 1833 ghz high speed ram and I have 64 bit version of Win 8 professional edition installed. My monitor is a Samsung 21.5in LED LCD SyncMaster BX2231, I have used this monitor with another computer with Win Vista for 2 years at 1920x1080 resolution without any problems and I pluged it to the older PC at 1920x1080 and it works fine but my new PC as soon as I switch to 1920x1080 I get pillor box format with a black border on all 4 sides.

What graphics card and model of monitor do you have?

Edited by SVT40, 22 March 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#9 SVT40

SVT40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:12 AM

I also tried auto adjust on the monitor and it says this feature is not available but this feature works with the same monitor on my older PC with windows vista, could it not be working right because of Win 8 compatibility issue?

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

My guess is that it is a driver issue, which is why I asked if you had new drivers installed. I would, though, expect AMD to have updated drivers available.

Is the monitor being identified properly when you are look in the screen resolution settings?

Also if you go into advanced settings, you can select the Monitor tab and see if there are any other refresh rates you can select to see if that fixes the problem.

Last, but not least, if the monitor identifier driver is not installed, you may want to install that and see if it helps:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/LS22X3HKFP/ZA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users