I have had great success over the years in disinfecting most computers, but when i get a tough nut, i always come back here to the resident geniuses for help.
Here is a rundown of what i did so far.
1. ran newest rkill.exe - stopped a bunch of stuff
2. ran newest tdsskillere.exe - didn't find anything
3. ran newest combofix - found infected atapi.sys file and replaced it
4. ran spybot - found one entry
5. ran malwarebytes - found 11 pup files
from there it seemed to be clean, but i still have issues of system slow down, and another running of rkill.exe showed an all clear except for bieng unable to edit the hosts files and showing 15,340 hosts entries.
maybe one of you can walk me through a fresh routine, even if i have to repeat everything i just did.
it's after midnight as i type this, so if this thread gets a response, i will follow through in the morning.
thanks and have a great night.
Edited by he's dead jim, 15 March 2013 - 11:04 PM.