Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Converting an XP machine to a DOS machine

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jimatog

jimatog

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

I might be trying to do something that is not possible.  I am trying to convert my old XP desktop machine into a machine that will run DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11 like my old 486DX66 machine did until it crashed and burned recently.  I have a very old DOS program that I run on a weekly basis and it is very important to me. 

I used special software and wiped my XP hard drive clean.  I then installed DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11on the clean hard drive.  I have a DOS partition of 2 gigabytes to work with.  When I boot up I get a C prompt and I can access Windows.

My first problem is that my CD-ROM drive (D:) is not recognized and it is not accessible.  When I hit the eject button on the CD-ROM drive the tray pops open but the system doesn't recognize D drive.  I know I don't have the correct commands in my config.sys file and in my autoexec.bat file.  The CD-ROM drive is not a name brand so I don't know what driver to install.

My second problem is that I do not get a mouse cursor in Windows.  The old mouse that came with the XP machine, I think, is a PS2 mouse.  It is an old style roller ball mouse.  I am not sure whether I have the correct commands in the config.sys and autoexec.bat files.  The mouse may not be a PS2 mouse.  The mouse has a brand name of MICRO Innovations.

I have used some commands from my old 486DX66 machine's config.sys and autoexec.bat files on the converted XP machine.  Some of the commands may not be suitable.  I can provide the commands found in the config and autoexec files if necessary.

Can anyone give me the solution to my two problems?  I will appreciate any help given.  Thanks.

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

Hi

The Optical drive will need a DOS driver loaded in Config.sys and mscdex.exe loaded in autoexec.bat

From here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/135174

To access a CD-ROM drive when you boot to a Windows command prompt or restart the computer in MS-DOS mode, you must load the real-mode CD-ROM driver in the Config.sys file and the MSCDEX driver in the Autoexec.bat or Dosstart.bat file. If your CD-ROM drive is supported in protected mode in Windows, the real-mode CD-ROM and MSCDEX drivers are most likely not being loaded in the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat or Dosstart.bat files on the hard disk. In addition, if you boot from a floppy disk, the CD-ROM and MSCDEX drivers will not load unless you manually configure the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files on the floppy disk to load them.

There is no one answer as the configuration will depend on the make and model of the CDrom drive. Try going to the drive makers website and see if they have a DOS driver available.

The mouse driver will have to load in config.sys or autoexec.bat, which one depends on the mouse driver.

Good Luck

Roger

FWIW Last year as a test I took a Dell dual core computer. added a floppy drive and loaded DOS and Windows on a USB flash drive. I had the internal hard drive disconnected and had set the boot order to Floppy for the install and USB to run DOS after that and to install Windows 3.11

Edited by rotor123, 15 March 2013 - 10:58 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 jimatog

jimatog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

Thanks Roger for your quick reply to my posting.  I have looked at the Microsoft Support reference you gave and it will probably be helpful.  I guess I will have to break open the machine case and try to find a brand name on the Opitical Drive so I can download the correct driver.  I was hoping there would be a generic driver for the Opitical Drive available on the web that would work.  I am going to list the commands I now have in config.sys and autoexec.bat.

Config.sys commands are:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS

DOS=HIGH

BUFFERS=30,0

FILES=40

DOS=UMB

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE /DOUBLE_BUFFER

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS

STACKS=9,256

DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\ANSI.SYS

DEVICEHIGH /L:1=C:\CDROM\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001

Autoexec.bat commands are:

C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE /L /X

LH /L:1 C:\DOS\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /M:15 /E /S /L:D /V

@ECHO OFF

PROMPT $p$g

PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS

SET TEMP=C:\DOS

LH  /L:1 C:\DOS\MOUSE

ECHO ON

PROMPT $e[37;41m

ECHO OFF

PROMPT $p$g

CD\

VER

With these two files as they are, the system recognizes that there is a D drive but it is non functional.  No doubt, the oakcdrom.sys file is not the correct driver.  Also, the mouse driver file I have listed is mouse.exe but it does not give me a mouse pointer in Windows.  Thanks again.

Jim

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

As far as I can remember those commands look right. The fact that they do not work could be due to the wrong driver or a defective drive.

Can you test the drive by booting a Windows disk from it? Or alternatively a Linux distribution?

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

You can find Generic Cdrom drivers on Bootdisk.com also found are USB mice drivers and several other tools for Dos

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

CD-ROM drive (D:) is not recognized and it is not accessibl

If your DVD drive is SATA, the legacy DOS drivers will not recognize it. IF this is the case, try an old IDE optical drive and IDE cable. If your mouse is a USB mouse, try a PS2 mouse on the serial port of the computer. Possibly a PS2 to USB adapter, but I would go direct if possible.  I ran into this same problem attempting to run Windows 98 games on modern equipment in DOSbox, believe it or not. I never could get them to work. I have an old Windows98 box with all genuine components and all DOS games run perfectly. Wish you the best!

Edited by ranchhand_, 31 May 2013 - 08:12 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

Have you tried running DOS in a virtual machine? DOS likely won't work on modern computers.

#8 STEMWINDER

STEMWINDER

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:28 PM

I realize I'm replying to a 6-month-old post, but for anyone else that stumbles in here looking for an answer here is my two cents worth. I agree with DarkSnake-Kobra, the easiest way to run DOS is

in a virtual machine like DOSBOX. I however prefer real DOS; I am presently running MS-DOS 7 from Windows 98 SE on a P8P67 EVO with an I5 2500k CPU. Here is what worked for me in a multi boot setup.

To see primary and logical partitions, Primary + Extended must not be more than 128 GiB-137 GB. To see primary partition only, Primary must be less than 128 GiB-137 GB extended can be any any size.

Partitions must be FAT or FAT32.

Check your BIOS and set appropriate controller to IDE mode. You can get DOS to run in AHCI mode but I haven't tried it.

Replace your CD-ROM driver. OAKCDROM.SYS and VIDE-CDD.SYS will not work on modern computers. Try ELTORITO.SYS or GCDROM.SYS.

Replace MSCDEX.EXE with SHSUCDX.EXE

Config.sys

DOS=HIGH,UMB
SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /p
STACKS=9,256
BUFFERS=30,0
FILES=30
LASTDRIVE=Z
rem DEVICE=C:\BOOT\SMARTDRV.EXE
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE noems
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,3872 =C:\BOOT\GCDROM.SYS /D:12345678

Autoexec.bat

@ECHO OFF
Set Path=C:\DOS;C:\BOOT;D:\DOS\BAT;
Set prompt=[98]$p$g
LH /L:1,8752 C:\BOOT\SHSUCDX /C /D:12345678 /L:M

Not working. Replace HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE with a more up-to-date version

Still not working  Try FreeDOS or Hiren's boot CD

DOS 7 is more compatible for games but FreeDOS seems fine for old programs

Some programs and games need Vesa mode. I use M64VBE.COM on my ATI HD 7770 

Likewise with DOS 6.22 but with 7.88 GiB-8.46 GB barrier.

Check your BIOS for any PS/2 or mouse setting. Keep trying different drivers.

Goggle is your friend

#9 jimatog

jimatog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

Thanks, Stemwinder, for all the very specific recommendations.  I have DOS running now and have activated my PS2 mouse.  I still have a problem now with XMS and EMS.  The program I want to run requires XMS.  I am going to try your config.sys and autoexec.bat recommendations.  Maybe they will work bettter than what I am using.  Thanks again.

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:59 PM

Very Informative  :thumbup2:

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#11 STEMWINDER

STEMWINDER

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

Just a few comments to add.
My config.sys and autoexec.bat are for DOS only
If you are looking for maximum memory dump my LASTDRIVE=Z line and remove /L:M from LH /L:1,8752 C:\BOOT\SHSUCDX /C /D:12345678 /L:M
The odd /L:1,8752 is from running memmaker and may not apply to your setup just remove it like so
LH C:\BOOT\SHSUCDX /C /D:12345678 /L:M
Memmaker from MS-DOS 6.22 does a good job of maximizing memory and also works for MS-DOS 7.
Just be sure and backup your config.sys and autoecec.bat as it has been known to lockup in the middle of things.

The following lines in your CONFIG.SYS are needed for windows
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE /DOUBLE_BUFFER
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS
The following lines in your CONFIG.SYS may be needed for your particular DOS or Windows setup
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\ANSI.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE

The config.sys statement
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE noems
will give you maximum conventional memory
adding RAM parameter will give you EMS but less conventional memory
The HELP.COM file included with DOS 6.22 is a good source for EMM38.EXE parameters and usage

I am certain that on my P8P67 EVO  before I upgraded my BIOS, MS-DOS recognized all 4 blue ports(Intel 3 Gb ports) but after only two. So try switching

ports if DOS isn't recognizing  ATAPI devices.

For sound I use a PCI sound card with an ES1938S chipset. I'd be interesed hearing what other sound cards anyone has working on an Intel 1155 or 1150

CPU motherboard under real mode DOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users