Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linkbucks redirect across all devices connected to router

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GeMoae

GeMoae

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

Hi,

In the past 3 days I've noticed that I periodically get randomly redirected via link bucks when browsing the internet. It was odd when it happened on my nexus 7 tablet but also has started happened on the 2 laptops that are connected to my router.

There's no specific pattern, time or website but it is certainly happening on websites that wouldn't use link bucks (Facebook/university e-mail). I have security software installed on all devices (lookout on nexus 7, MSE on windows 7 laptops).

Any advice anyone could offer would be appreciated, its getting annoying now!

Thanks!

P.s. - at the same time my nexus 7 stopped connecting to Google now with a connection error, but only when connected to my network, on other networks it works fine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

Welcome aboard p22002758.gif

Try resetting your router....

Turn the computer off.

On your router, you'll find a pinhole marked "Reset".
Keep pushing the hole, using a pencil, or a paperclip until all lights briefly come off and on.
NOTE. Simple router disconnecting from a power source will NOT do.
Restart computer and check for redirections.

NOTE. You may need to re-check your router security settings, as described HERE

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 GeMoae

GeMoae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

Thanks for your help. This appears to have resolved my issue and I've also beefed up my router security. Common sense is in short supply.

Your help is much appreciated.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

You're very welcome p22002759.gif

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Huffer

Huffer

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:30 AM

This does seem to be a major advancement in the way that computers are being hacked.

I recentlly attended a customer where links to his financial sites were being redirected to linkbucks.

I could find no problem whatsoever on his machine. I brought it back to the workshop and ran virtually every conceivable adware program - Nothing, everything indicated that it was 100% clean.

I took the machine back to the customer and bang! financial sites were being redirecte to linkbucks. I then connected my own laptop to his network and tried the Barclaycard site. As soon as I tried to login, I was redirected to linkbucks.

Apparently when the router had been setup, the admin password had not been changed from admin and admin. Something had changed the admin password and access to the router control panel was blocked.

My only option was to manually reset the router, which I did. After a reset and reinstallation of the correct settings including a secure admin password, the problem was resolved.

I was annoyed that I could not gain access to the hacked router to find out how sites were being redirected.

Apparently my customer had been using a lot of price comparrison sites recently.

#6 Manvij

Manvij

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:06 AM

I have a similar issue  that is being addressed but thought of posting a link here so that people who like me arrive at this thread can read through the troubleshooting steps:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/510571/tinyurl-shortened-urls-being-redirected-to-linkbucks/

Currently, all my Tinyurl shortened links are redirecting to a Linkbucks URL(not the main page but a sub page).

I came across a Youtu.be shortened URL and that too redirects to Linkbucks.So I tried Bit.ly shortened URLs and lo and behold those are also going to Linkbucks!

I use Chrome but the same happens in Firefox and IE shows page cannot be displayed. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users