Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows "degenerating" itself

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 technoty

technoty

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

I have this big problem in my Windows 7 computer (formerly having Windows Vista ). Few days ago, I began to feel tired about the loud fan noise this PC is producing, even when minimizing the programs. I decide to get SpeedFan, but temperature readings prove that the computer's too hot to reduce fan noise. After asking a question to reduce fan noisy on another forum, one response suggests dust cleaning and hardware upgrading, particularly the chips and the fans. 

I decide to do dust cleaning only. For like the first time since over 4 years, I cleaned this dusty HP computer. It's all over the venting and the interior. I got all of the exterior and much of the interior free of dust.

I reassembled and resumed using my computer afterwards. The PC doesn't produce loud noise anymore, and I haven't heard an increase in noise, even when running the bigger programs.

In the next day (which is yesterday), I was using the computer in the morning until when the computer started to do something a virus would do. I was going to listen to music in YouTube, but I realize the sound is not working at all. I checked my speaker cord, which is already plugged well even after my reassembling. So I decide to double click on the sound icon, but the icon won't be highlighted, and nothing opens. It turns out that my taskbar buttons can't work anymore in this session. I even tried to run programs, from my internet browser to Google Earth, and none got to load successfully (Google Earth's starting image just hangs). The computer's internet ability gets disabled as well. After a period of time, my sound icon is changed to have the mute icon, and said "The Audio Service is not running". I realize my computer is working less and stops programs more. The only program I can run without failure is Windows Explorer. I can't logoff/shutdown automatically as well.

The problem starts to happen about 40 minutes after logging in. It doesn't happen during Safe Mode, however. The sound does work only before the first "symptoms" of the problem.

I ran a scan with Microsoft Security Essentials. It handled all threats it detects, but the problem I had still occurs. 

So, my possible culprits are my dust cleanup (possible slight damage to the components), SpeedFan, or some virus I can't detect. I need to find an answer to this serious message-less threat on my computer.

Mod Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to a more appropriate forum. ~bloopie

Edited by bloopie, 17 March 2013 - 04:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

What kind of threats did MSE detect?

Did you remove the heat sink and fan from the CPU when you cleaned this computer?

How did you clean this computer?

Have you tried to do a System Restore in Safe Mode?

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 technoty

technoty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Did you remove the heat sink and fan from the CPU when you cleaned this computer?

I think the threats MSE detected are few Trojans.

I did not remove the heat sink and fan from the CPU, due to difficulty. I temporarily removed a fan, however.

I cleaned the computer by my vacuum's tube. I also used the tube between the disk drives and wiped other surfaces deemed hard to reach by the tube.

Unfortunately, I have no restore point for System Restore in Safe Mode. I though I did before.

During the built-in HDD check, they gave me a BIOHD-8 notice. I wonder if it's connected to the problem I'm facing.

I'm currently in the process of backing up my important files in case of a hard drive failure.

Edited by technoty, 16 March 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#4 technoty

technoty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

Here's my details log. As a note, the programs with jumbled text have an Asian language, due to our curiosity with whatever's not from this country.

<<<<<Log Removed As Per Users Request. ~bloopie>>>>>

Edited by bloopie, 24 March 2015 - 05:17 PM.
Removed user name as per request. ~bloopie

#5 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Hello technoty,

You may have a nasty rootkit infection on board, but let's check for confirmation:

• Please download TDSSKiller from here and save it to your Desktop
  • Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then click on Change parameters

tds2.jpg
  • Check Loaded Modules, Verify Driver Digital Signature, and Detect TDLFS file system
  • If you are asked to reboot because an "Extended Monitoring Driver is required" please click Reboot now

2012081514h0118.png
  • Click Start Scan and allow the scan process to run

tds4-1.jpg
  • If threats are detected select Skip or Cure (if available) for all of them unless otherwise instructed.
    ***Do NOT select Delete!
  • Click Continue

tds6.jpg
  • Click Reboot computer
  • Please copy the TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt file found in your root directory (typically c:\) and paste it into your next reply

bloopie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users