Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email Security

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zapping

zapping

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

Hello :)  This is my first post and I was referred here because there were a lot of experts who could address my concerns :) 

I had a question about email, specifically about whether I can catch something nasty just by opening or previewing an email.  I know to never click on an unknown link, but on rare occasions, I get emails from an address that looks legitimate.  I click on it and if I see a link or if it just basically says a bunch of nonsense, I automatically delete it or mark it as junk.  Is it possible to catch a virus/Trojan/malware from text in the email (I'm not the smartest on computers so I don't know whether people can hide stuff in a message).

I have Norton Internet Security 2013 and believe that it offers some email security protection but I know that all security software is not 100% so just wanted to hear from the experts here on what I can do to enhance my email protection. 

Thanks a lot for your help/advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:51 AM

What are you using for email? Some webmail services come with automatic attachment scanning. Mine does. Norton isn't going to help you if you click on a malicious link. And in many cases, the spammer isn't looking to infect your computer but wants your info to use as a spambot. So you need to be more careful. Phishers are very clever. I don't click on anything unless I know who it is. But a lot of spam disguises itself as legitimate.

Edited by frankp316, 16 March 2013 - 04:53 AM.

#3 zapping

zapping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

Hello, thanks for your reply....I am using Yahoo mail.

I know not to click on the links, I just was wondering if the act of opening an email itself might possibly compromise something (either my email account or computer).

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

Yes.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

Yes, since Nov. 2012,with the invention of  “drive-by emails.”  Like “drive-by downloads” they infect machines without having to open an attachment, download a file or click on a link. These are produced by HTML e-mails containing a JavaScript that automatically downloads malware the moment it’s opened. 

The key to spotting these is a message that appears as “Loading…Please wait…” You could turn of HTML and prevent it but, most email is HTML and therefore not practical. Your best protection is that your e-mail account is protected by an updated product against spam and malware.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users