Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scrolling problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jimnor46

jimnor46

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

Approx. 6 mos. ago I started having a problem with my computer scrolling. When I was viewing a website the page started scrolling, by itself, to the bottom of the page and even when it reached the bottom of the page it kept trying to scroll down. I had just recently downloaded and was using Firefox. Thinking that this may be the problem, I switched back over to I.E.9. This didn't stop the problem. I eventually had to shut down the computer.  After letting the comp. sit for a bit, I turned it back on, logged on to the net and was able to surf the net without further problem.  Thinking this was a one time problem, I didn't pursue the problem any further.

Approx two mos. later, I again had the same problem.  Surfing the net and all of a sudden the scrolling started.  Thinking that this was a mouse problem I purchased a new mouse and tried it.  Same problem, no change whatsoever. Switched back to the old mouse, shut down the computer, let sit for a bit, restarted computer and problem was once again eliminated. 

Last week had the same problem.  Went thru same procedure of shutting down, sitting, restarting and continued surfing the net. This is not only annoying but a bit of a concern.  I don't know if I have a software problem or if it's a hardware problem. Does anyone have any idea what to look for to try to stop this problem?  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dell Inspiron 530

Vista Home Premium

64 Bit

4 GB RAM

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

I have encountered something similar...could not scroll smoothly, everything was wavy.

I can't remember what I did, but it seems that it's a problem with either the graphics driver or the mouse. drivers are probably damaged.

I'd uninstall each via Device Manager and reboot...and see if that changes the situation.

Louis

#3 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for the response Hamluis, I'll give that a try. 

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Just know that if you un install the graphics driver in vista and reboot it will be gone and you will need a new one.

The mouse driver will re install upon reboot though. 

#5 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for the response Inadequateinfirmity, I'll remember that.  Good thing to know....

Thanks Again

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

:guitar:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users