Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Considering Upgrading Ram from 2 to 4 gig - Windows 7 x86, looking for advice.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Psycho Nomad

Psycho Nomad

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

It's a custom built rig, getting a little old now. The Mobo is an A74ML series. The manual reads:

• 2x 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
  • supports up to 4GB system memory
  • Dual Channel DDR2 1066(oc*)/800/667MHz architecture

I'm presuming the fastest RAM I can install is 1066MHz. Is this correct? Does that also mean I will have to do any kind of manual tweaking considering the oc* (overlocked) suffix @ 1066MHz?

Am I right in presuming a stick like this wouldn't be compatible with my motherboard? If so do I have to hunt down two 2 gig sticks @ at maximum of DDR2 1066MHz, as this is the fastest this mother board can handle?

Lastly do you have any pointers on where to look for decent UK based RAM e-sales within my specific limits? Clarification on all these points and any other advise would be highly appreciated.

Cheers.

Edited by Psycho Nomad, 15 March 2013 - 01:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

Yes u need specifically DDR2 ram, DDr3 will not fit (your link)

To tweak ram settings enter bios and change frequency and timings voltage etc mobo possibly could go higher not sure

As far as Uk I have no clue check Scan,  killerX might be of better help

#3 Psycho Nomad

Psycho Nomad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

cheers! Yeah I sort of hopped on here too quick before sitting down and having a think about it. I've done a little sniffing about and come across this which I think fits the bill perfectly. Allthough I'm wondering wether I should go for 800MHz instead as aparently there's pretty minimal difference in 'noticable' speeds between the two and it's apparently a lot more to do with latency, of which the linked sticks are PC2 8500, which I believe (from my extremely limited quick googlage) is fairly decent for for price. Of course I could be wrong, anyone got any ideas on this one little point?

#4 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

That should work 

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

Usually, if a RAM speed is listed as OC, it may require you adjust certain settings in the BIOS to get that speed.  Also, your available RAM amount will be lower than 4GB if you are not using a 64-bit operating system.  Most likely, Windows will have 3GB to 3.5GB available to it.  Two Crucial 2GB DDR2 1066MHz sticks should get you what you need.  This is what Crucial lists for your motherboard.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users