Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

old pc/pc parts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Visceris

Visceris

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

Hello all.

Was wondering if anyone knew where I could aquire old computers to play with, working or not. Im working on learning more about computers and dont wanna use my main computers for obvious reasons. Thanks in advance. If there is such a thing as a computer junkyard, thats the type of thing im looking for. Just systems to mess around with without worries of breaking things.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:29 AM

Just ask friends and relatives that when they buy new ones to give you their old ones.  That's how I've gotten quite a few of them.  I usually reformat and reinstall stuff and get them working and give them to old folks homes and stuff so they have something there to play on.

#3 Visceris

Visceris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

Alright ya ive been tryin that. Didnt kno if there was another way. Thanks tho

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

There is a person that advertises in our local (free) news paper for old computers in this area.

If you can hold it for a few days, he has a weekly pickup and sometimes gives you a few dollars for them (only $5 or $10) if working.

There are always dozens of older XP and Vista models being thrown out -

#5 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

Not sure where your located, but Best Buy has a recycle program that includes computers. They might work with you on this...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#6 MAC590

MAC590

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

Check with local PC repair shops. I don't know where you are located but I have stacks of motherboards, ram, etc at my shop that I have no use for. ( PA ) Feel free to come take it all off my hands :smash:

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

Check with local PC repair shops. I don't know where you are located but I have stacks of motherboards, ram, etc at my shop that I have no use for. ( PA ) Feel free to come take it all off my hands :smash:

Have you checked around? In NJ we had people calling all the time looking to buy Motherboards, hard drives, memory, add on cards. CPUs too.

They paid by the pound. My understanding was that they were getting the gold off of the parts somehow.

Cheers

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users