Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to put more than 1.6gb on a microsd

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

I have a microSD card that I use in my mobile phone.  The capacity is supposed to be 32 GB, but for whatever reason, I can't copy more than 1.6 gb, give or take to it.

I have tried formatting the card, but no matter that I do, when I try to copy files over (mp3's and videos, mostly), it hangs after it reaches that limit, and then eventually gives me an error message saying that the file can be copied.

Even if I take out my microSD and put it into my laptop's card reader, it does the same, despite saying that the card has a 31.2 gb capacity.

I've searched online but I can't figuer out what's causing it to do this.  Please help me out here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

Hi

Is it the card that came with phone?

Did it ever allow you to copy more to it previously?

If the answer to both of those is no, it may be a counterfeit card. That is usually how they behave.

James

#3 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

It didn't come with the phone, but I seem to remember being able to copy at least 7 or 8 GB to it at one point when I put my phone in mass transfer mode.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

Maybe this can help you determine if that is the issue...

https://sites.google.com/a/intelligentplant.com/fakesdcards/

James

#5 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

Ok, I'll try it and report back.  This works for the MicroSD cards with adapter right?

#6 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

When I try to run the program, I select the microSD as my drive, and the "Data Volume" changes to 32037 MB, but everything under that is greyed out, so I can't run the program.

Are there any more like this one?

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

That's the only one that I have used for testing flash memory. someone else may know of another.

Regardless, it is sounding like the controller in that microSD card has some serious issues that may or may not be related to its authenticity. I don't think that it is trustworthy.

James

#8 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:41 AM

That's the only one that I have used for testing flash memory. someone else may know of another.

Regardless, it is sounding like the controller in that microSD card has some serious issues that may or may not be related to its authenticity. I don't think that it is trustworthy.

James

That seems to be the case.  I can run the program now, but shortly after I start the test, I get the following error:

Error writing file 'G:\1.h2w', offset 0x0.
It is still possible to verify the test data written up to this point.
(The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid. Code 1006)
Warning: Only 32029 of 32030 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 0.00 KByte/s
H2testw v1.4

#9 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

That really sounds like the controller went bad. Lots of things outside of your control can cause that to happen.

James

Edited by James Litten, 16 March 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#10 balwek

balwek

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:32 AM

Hi if micro sd hold only limited data like what you say 1.6gb the rest 30gb is fake. The cards sold cheap on ebay are most likely fake.they sell 512gb card it shows 499gb on mobile the usable area is only 3.7gb. 512gb never made one yet anyway. Not for sold $15.... FAKE..
Hi if micro sd hold only limited data like what you say 1.6gb the rest 30gb is fake. The cards sold cheap on ebay are most likely fake.they sell 512gb card it shows 499gb on mobile the usable area is only 3.7gb. 512gb never made one yet anyway. Not for sold $15.... FAKE..

#11 balwek

balwek

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:15 AM

Instant sd card check on mobile.
Install "SD INSIGHT" application.
And run it.
Tell us how did you go.....
I just come across with this. Application..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users