Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone have experience with exterminate-it.com

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerGuy2500

ComputerGuy2500

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

In my time in IT I have seen several cleanup services/apps that cause as much problems as the software they claim to remove. Has anyone here used exterminate-it.com product? If so, please share your experience and opinion of the products.

Thank you,

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

A couple of years ago they were notorious for lots of False Positives and suggesting payment for removal. Not to mention not producing a log of what they scanned or found. This caused more than a few raised eyebrows with some well respected members of the Malware Removal community. Have they cleaned up their act? I don't know. Can they be trusted to not revert back to sketchy behavior? Again, I don't know. Previous behavior just sends warning signals to tread carefully if you decide to look further.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

CurioLab S.M.B.A. 2007 - 2011 <= Latest registration date for the company  that I can find on their sites.

A Full Scan with Exterminate It (offered free working download), claimed to find 2 Tracking Cookies -
As I pressed the Exterminate tab, I was given a Pop-up that I must pay for removal ! ! ! For Tracking Cookies ??

This function is available only in the activated version of Exterminate It ! Please activate your copy of Exterminate It !.

There is no activation code offered with the Free / Trial version. They claim there is ............

No Freeware or Trialware option works, even though they claim (on their site) it will -

For this reason, I would say that the above reply by Animal is still current - Keep Away from it -

If you want this type of program, I would go to SUPERAntiSpyware Free FIRST -

Still seems like it is still the same scam it was 3 to 5 years ago -

Regards -

Now I must find if I can Uninstall this "useless program".

NOTE : My description of a private test only .........

Edited by noknojon, 15 March 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:22 AM

With all the free alternatives available why would anyone want to use a program which requires them to pay for removal of "found threats"? Further, if the threats were real, it is very dangerous and risky to provide credit card numbers and personal information to purchase something using an infected machine which could steal that info and send it to a hacker.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Ernie37

Ernie37

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:24 PM

I finally purchased Exterminate-It and it found a lot of problems that were really hidden that McAfee had not detected. After the first scan turned up more than 400 "problems", some cookies but a lot of malware and adware, I went back to McAfee and it said everything was okay. I then began looking into the locations listed in the Exterminate-It scan and there they were. Just sitting there waiting....for something.

Anyway, I exterminated all but a couple of the cookies I know I use all the time. Now when I do a search almost nothing shows up except cookies. However, once in a while an adware or malware program will show up but McAfee still doesn't seem to find it. I do know that McAfee locates and stops a lot of stuff from being downloaded and will always warn me about certain sites.

The only problem I'm having with Exterminate-It is that I have to continually ask for the activation code to be reset on the server. This occurs every two or three weeks on each of 3 computers for which I purchased the program. If they could only correct that problem and have the program permanently activate the code for the duration it would be a great product. Just sayin......

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,266 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:58 PM

You have replied to a topic which is over two years old.

Just because Exterminate-It found "problems" other programs did not, does not mean what it found was malicious. That is how scammers (and rogue security apps, registry cleaners) operate...they find legitimate things, trick their victims into believing what they found was bad and then want payment for removal.

I certainly would not trust the detection results of this program nor would I recommend anyone use it.

#7 Ernie37

Ernie37

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:58 AM

I purchase the software for three computers. I like the way it finds really hidden malware, etc., but dealing with the activation process can be mind boggling at times. I have activated the software on my 3 computers but the program asks me to activate every two or three weeks. However, the original code does not work and you have to try and get the company to re-activate the code, something I've had to do several times. Now they have sent me a new code which does not work. They are in Denmark and that makes it a real problem if you're in the US. If I had it to do over I'd simply get some of the free malware software and save my money.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,266 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:22 PM

...Now they have sent me a new code which does not work. They are in Denmark and that makes it a real problem if you're in the US. If I had it to do over I'd simply get some of the free malware software and save my money.

Lack of adequate customer support is a good reason to go elsewhere. I would cut my losses, uninstall the program and choose a trustworthy replacement such as Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

The other option would be to wait until your license expires...then not renew it. However, without a properly working activation code I would not consider that much of an option.

#9 juju22

juju22

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:08 AM

thansk

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,266 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:23 AM

This is an old topic so I'm not sure what you are giving thanks for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users