Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hdd

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vaio840

Vaio840

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:35 PM

I have on order a new Ext HDD. I purchased this for data B/U and the possibility of trying a Linux OS. As I wait for delivery I was musing as to what uses more experienced users of this hardware may have found. I have a 250 GB in my Sony as it sits here now. The ext. HDD will be a 160 GB Western Digital running at 7200 rpm, 8MB buffer. I believe it will come with the Driver CD only as I wasn't sure what I needed, whether Linux or XP, originally.

Another question that popped into my head is whether I should get a 3rd party partitioning software such as Partition Commander by VCOM to perform the task of separating XP MCE from Linux (Ubuntu). I am looking at Partition Commander now and seems, from what I have read, that for one who has never done this type of formatting before this is a wiser choice. Any thoughts?

Again, what have some of you old timers found are some other alternative uses for an external HDD?

I am completely flexible as to any of the choices I am considering as listed above. Would love to get some input.
33 1/3 RPM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:55 PM

Hi. Welcome to BC. Since you did not say what type of extenal drive it was I will write about both. If it is a USB , with the right router you could use it as a file server on your LAN. If ethernet you could use it as a file sever except you could just plug into any port on your LAN. With 400gb+ of storage I would download programs to the external drive before installing them. In the event you would have to clean install you would not have to go online until you had them installed a needed to update them.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:05 PM

I use a Western Digital external USB "combination" drive for backup and for data storage.

It came with Dantz Retrospect software to automate incremental backups and can also make its own image of an internal drive by just pressing the button on it.

I assume it will work for any op system but I have only used it to backup system state and data from Win 2K pro and XP Pro.

I have it connected to a USB 2 port on my PC.

I don't know if USB would be fast enough to run programs from it, and I haven't tried.

#4 Vaio840

Vaio840
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:58 PM

Thanks acklan and enthusiast. I have yet to receive the darn thing so can't tell you for sure what it is or isn't. It is USB 2.0, however. I believe it is the caviar. Should have done a bit more homework, but, the HDD in my 7 month old Sony went bye-bye and had to be replaced before I had all backed up. That was the motivation for getting this drive. I still am not sure whether or not I can use it as a secondary HD to work off should I install a Linux OS. It would seem to me that it should be similar to working with a DVD drive in that it would be a satellite as are the other drives. Probably I am just showing my lack of knowledge by having made that assumption.

The funny thing was, concerning backing up the dead HDD, was that I had, for my Nikon D70s camera, 3 CF's, 1 -2 GB and 2- 1 GB. I used those to B/U but needed one more 1 GB CF to finish. Lacking the 1 I could not achieve the B/U. So, went to look at prices for an additional CF and it would have cost more than this external HDD. I bought the external brand new on eBay and the shipping is very slow.

Any other thoughts? I am all eyes and ears.
33 1/3 RPM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users